"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #41
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
You are right, our ALDI here has started carrying some more 'exotic' cheeses in the cooler, but so far no parm, bummer.
They do have a fair selection of softer cheeses as well as some good hard block cheeses now. I will check again next time I am there. Wife likes to pick up the crumbled Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese, I like the soft cheese wheel (forget which cheese it was) with mushroom or the monteray jack with leeks.
Have you asked them to get it? That often works. Especially if a few people ask, and you never know who else might have.....

Old 02-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #42
Master Chef

We went there after my Dr. appointment today for some bread and milk, and remembering this thread I checked.
They are now carrying shredded Parmesan, Reggiano, and Asiago. They also had Havarti and one other soft creamy cheese from France as well.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
Maverick - I am sort of familiar with Chicago, but not Cicero ...
Cicero is one of the western suburbs. I know because my brother and SIL live in Oak Park - I can hear the disembodied voice on the train now: "The next stop is Cicero. Doors open on the left in Cicero."
Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
We went there after my Dr. appointment today for some bread and milk, and remembering this thread I checked.
They are now carrying shredded Parmesan, Reggiano, and Asiago. They also had Havarti and one other soft creamy cheese from France as well.

Pre-shredded cheese is usually not a good choice. It dries out and loses its taste that way. Also, Reggiano is not a cheese, it's a location. You might have meant Pecorino Romano.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Cicero is one of the western suburbs. I know because my brother and SIL live in Oak Park - I can hear the disembodied voice on the train now: "The next stop is Cicero. Doors open on the left in Cicero."
LOL, commuted downtown for many years and I still have that voice ringing in my ears! Cicero is Near West Side, bordering Chicago and about 7 miles from downtown.
My wife has a lot of clients in OP, and we like to go on dates there as they have a lot of cool shops and restaurants all in walking distance of each other.
But, the property taxes....
Old 02-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #46
Master Chef

There's nothing inheritantly wrong with the "green tube". Granted, it's definitely not even remotely the same as fresh, but it certainly isn't "sawdust". (That's a rather snobby reference, by the way, in my opinion.) We frequently have a canister of it in the fridge for impromptu sprinkling on soups, salads, pizza. It's fine.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #47
Master Chef

I think it is silly to argue about taste. Even if something taste horrible but person used to eat it and likes it, no matter what you say person is going to like it. And as far as the original post goes, eah the sky is blue and the grass is green, duh.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Pre-shredded cheese is usually not a good choice. It dries out and loses its taste that way. Also, Reggiano is not a cheese, it's a location. You might have meant Pecorino Romano.
It might have said shredded Romano.. I should have written them down but wasn't planning this it, LOL.

The tubs they are in don't have that much in them, maybe about what I would use in one recipe for my family of 5, so for me they wouldn't have time to dry out once I opened it.

But yea not the best choice, but to be a choice they would have to offer it in block for as well not just shredded. Shredded is better than none at all.

As for the talk about the green tube and sawdust, I don't recall ever saying it was sawdust or unacceptable. I do recall saying I had it in my fridge, so yes I do buy it and use it. I also said given a choice I would go with the better cheeses, I think they are far more flavorful and much tastier. I am not poo pooing anyones taste or putting them down, I am referring to my own tastes and what I like, my own choices and why I make them.
I think it is silly to take offense at someone else's personal preferences, but that is only my opinion as well. Maybe calling it sawdust is harsh, but if that is what it tastes like to someone else, well then that is just what it tastes like to someone else.
Kinda the whole point of discussions I think...
Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
The tubs they are in don't have that much in them, maybe about what I would use in one recipe for my family of 5, so for me they wouldn't have time to dry out once I opened it.

But yea not the best choice, but to be a choice they would have to offer it in block for as well not just shredded. Shredded is better than none at all....

It starts to dry out the minute it's shredded at the factory and continues to degrade even before you open it.

But it is better than nothing.

I still have a very hard time understanding why you can't find hunks of cheese at Dominicks or Jewel. My parents have lived in Chicagoland for many years and I have seen it in nearly every supermarket I've shopped at.

Or you could drive up to Caputo's cheese shop in Melrose Park.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
It starts to dry out the minute it's shredded at the factory and continues to degrade even before you open it.

But it is better than nothing.

I still have a very hard time understanding why you can't find hunks of cheese at Dominicks or Jewel. My parents have lived in Chicagoland for many years and I have seen it in nearly every supermarket I've shopped at.

Or you could drive up to Caputo's cheese shop in Melrose Park.
Oh, I didn't say I couldn't find them, I said I couldn't afford them! I have $150 a week budget for a family of five. $10 for a half pound or even pound of cheese does not fit...

Tags
None