"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
You are right, our ALDI here has started carrying some more 'exotic' cheeses in the cooler, but so far no parm, bummer..
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood.

Have you been to Little Italy? Often PR is cheaper in Italian markets. Also, they may be more likely to carry Grana Padano, a cheaper but tasty alternative.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #52
Master Chef

I'll ask DW, maybe we can take a trip over there and check it out.
Thanks!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonaskitchen View Post
Just a little information about an Italian ingredient!
I know that it can sound silly, but I've read a lot of posts here, and noticed that there's a missunderstood between Parmigiano reggiano cheese and Parmesan.
They are NOT the same thing! AT ALL!

Except that they are.

"The European Court of Justice ruled yesterday that only the tasty, crumbly cheese that has been made for some 800 years near the Italian city of Parma
can legally be called Parmesan....
In a case dating back to 2003, the court criticized Germany for allowing sales of imitation Parmesan in violation of European Union food-origin rules that reserve the name Parmesan for Italian cheese only....

Germany argued in court that Parmesan was a generic term for a type of hard, crumbly cheese that is often grated over food and cannot claim an Italian uniqueness.

The court disagreed, saying Parmesan was "clearly a translation of 'Parmigiano Reggiano.' "

EU ruling grating to Germans - The Boston Globe
"
Old 02-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #54
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood.

Have you been to Little Italy? Often PR is cheaper in Italian markets. Also, they may be more likely to carry Grana Padano, a cheaper but tasty alternative.
I have been known to have all three in my fridge at the same time. imho, the textures are similar, but the flavors are decidedly unique to each.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

OK. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Why my green tube cheese wasn't any good compared to the real thing. So I scoured the specialty cheese section of my store. The only thing that came close to parmigiano reggiano is something called reggianito on the cheese's label and reggianito parmesan on the stores tag, which also said $9.99/lb I bought a half pound to try out.
Is this cheese the same as the parmigiano reggiano? or at least very close?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #56
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
It's not the real deal, but it will give you an idea of the difference we speak of. It's actually a South American version of Reggiano. Here's an excellent description.

Gourmet Cheeses, Books, Kits, Cheese Parties, and Cheese Supplies - Argentinian Reggianito
Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #57
Head Chef

I have no problem finding PR by the block here in our part of Mexico, and it is slightly less expensive than in the states. I remember buying a big chunk at Costco once, and the checker stopped and asked me "Are you REALLY paying $18.50 for a piece of cheese?" Yup. It lasts a long time.....
Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the info.
I wonder why that site sells small amounts of the stuff I already have, .5 lbs, but the smallest parmigiano reggiano is 10 lbs? Can you buy small amounts of the real deal in grocery stores? Maybe that's why I couldn't find any at my store. I certainly don't need to be spending $270 on 10 lbs of cheese....
Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #59
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks for the info.
I wonder why that site sells small amounts of the stuff I already have, .5 lbs, but the smallest parmigiano reggiano is 10 lbs? Can you buy small amounts of the real deal in grocery stores? Maybe that's why I couldn't find any at my store. I certainly don't need to be spending $270 on 10 lbs of cheese....
and you surely don't need to! If you go to Salumeria Italiana and click on "Cheese" on the left hand side of the home page, you will get to where you can order it -- top quality in great shape -- for $16.50 per pound. I mention the quality, because I notice in lots of places when the price is much lower, the cheese is often old, as evidenced by discoloring around the rind and excessive crumbling.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, ChefJune.
It would be interesting to compare the Argentinian cheese I bought with the Italian PR. I'll have to go through this website more thoroughly and see if it would be worth it to order other items to cover the 2-day air cost.

Tags
None