Parmigiano Reggiano is NOT Parmesan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, ChefJune.
It would be interesting to compare the Argentinian cheese I bought with the Italian PR. I'll have to go through this website more thoroughly and see if it would be worth it to order other items to cover the 2-day air cost.

No Kidding about the 2-day air cost! Since when are 2.5-year-old cheese, cured meats and olives "perishable" food? You could get it a week later and it would still be absolutely fine.

Thanks for the info.
I wonder why that site sells small amounts of the stuff I already have, .5 lbs, but the smallest parmigiano reggiano is 10 lbs? Can you buy small amounts of the real deal in grocery stores? Maybe that's why I couldn't find any at my store. I certainly don't need to be spending $270 on 10 lbs of cheese....

You should be able to find it by the pound or half-pound. Maybe ask at the cheese counter if they carry it or would consider carrying it.

No Kidding about the 2-day air cost! Since when are 2.5-year-old cheese, cured meats and olives "perishable" food? You could get it a week later and it would still be absolutely fine.

That depends upon the time of year, and even so, stuff sent regular mail gets "lost." They have had issues with shipping, that's why the requirement. Most companies also only ship cheese in the cooler/cold months, anyway because of perishability.

That depends upon the time of year, and even so, stuff sent regular mail gets "lost." They have had issues with shipping, that's why the requirement. Most companies also only ship cheese in the cooler/cold months, anyway because of perishability.

Well, that's not what the Web site says, and hard cheeses aren't perishable. Although I guess if they have issues with shipping, they wouldn't mention it, would they? :ROFLMAO:

I was thinking about it for a minute, before I saw the shipping cost, b/c the cost of the cheese is $4/lb. cheaper than I've seen it here, but the shipping would more than eat up the savings.

Last edited:
I was shocked to find that they sell that pwdered stuff in Italian supermarkets too. But I do what my Italian husband tells me too, I buy big blocks of the real thing, cut it into slightly smaller big hunks, put them in the freezer and use it a wedge at a time. Re the OP though, I think its more question of D.O.P though, and that Parmesiano Reggiano falls within the area. Italy is big on DoPs, which I personally think is great. Its worth remembering though that is sometimes possible to find products of a similar, or even superior quality, for less money produced outside the DoP. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't buy the real thing too....but sometimes, my cmprimises have lead to happy discoveries. ;)

Last edited:
I come from an Italian American background. Mom mom wont let the jar stuff in the house. It just would never be bought. As everyday stuff for cooking and as a topping we usually had some pre-grated parm and romano from the butcher.

The beautiful hunks of reggiano were rarely used for cooking as mostly eaten straight as part of antipasto... or more frequently alongside some proscuitto straight out of the butcher paper with a glass of wine as a snack while setting the table and preparing dinner. Unless it is a special occassion neither makes it to a serving plate.

For cooking cheese I usually use a sharp Provelone. The Reg. I save for eating or grating right onto a dish before serving.

I come from an Italian American background. Mom mom wont let the jar stuff in the house. It just would never be bought. As everyday stuff for cooking and as a topping we usually had some pre-grated parm and romano from the butcher.

The beautiful hunks of reggiano were rarely used for cooking as mostly eaten straight as part of antipasto... or more frequently alongside some proscuitto straight out of the butcher paper with a glass of wine as a snack while setting the table and preparing dinner. Unless it is a special occassion neither makes it to a serving plate.

For cooking cheese I usually use a sharp Provelone. The Reg. I save for eating or grating right onto a dish before serving.

One thing I've been using the Parm. Reg. for is risotto. The cheese goes in right before serving, after all the liquid is absorbed.

One thing I've been using the Parm. Reg. for is risotto. The cheese goes in right before serving, after all the liquid is absorbed.

For a classical alla Milanese it IS essential. MMMMM:)

I love to make risotto it is one of the first things I set out to learn to cook. I love to play with the mix. I have met my greatest success using earthy italian cheese that taste vaguely of dirt and truffles but a finish of Reggiano is still always a plus.

I am down to the rind of my Reg. right now. I am saving it for a worthy sauce.

My main problem with the stuff is I devour it I cant keep it in the house:sick:

It's way down on the totem pole :) They do have one that is real parmesan, but it's very different from the Italian. According to a recent Cook's Illustrated article, Italian Parm. Reg. is made from raw milk, the cows are pastured and have different microflora that affects flavor, the method of making cheese is different, and the cheese is aged for 24 months.

American parms. are usually made from pasteurized milk, the cows eat feed, and Kraft is aged only 10 months.

Ok, I'm confused (not unusual). I was just watching Lidia's Italy (or Lidia's Kitchen), can't remember which one it was, I don't get a chance to watch it very often. She had a little piece about Parmesan cheese. I believe she said it was made from SHEEP's milk, not cow's milk. So what is it made from? hehehe

Ok, I'm confused (not unusual). I was just watching Lidia's Italy (or Lidia's Kitchen), can't remember which one it was, I don't get a chance to watch it very often. She had a little piece about Parmesan cheese. I believe she said it was made from SHEEP's milk, not cow's milk. So what is it made from? hehehe

Well, I think either she misspoke or you misheard. It's made from raw cow's milk:

Delicious Italy - Rare Reggiana cow breed
Delicious Italy - Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

and I find that is even better if you haven't added too many other flavors to the Risotto. The Parmigiano Reggiano really becomes the star of the dish. :chef:

Parm is always made with cow's milk.

Romano is often made with sheeps milk: pecorino romano.

Somethimes Romano and Reggiano sound similar.

Jennyema is right on.

I saw that episode of Lydia's show. She was talking about pecorino - sheep's milk cheeses. She had several different types on display, including a fresh pecorino. She mentioned that pecorino made in Rome would be pecorino Romano.

Back
Top Bottom