Parmigiano Reggiano is NOT Parmesan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonaskitchen

Senior Cook
Just a little information about an Italian ingredient!
I know that it can sound silly, but I've read a lot of posts here, and noticed that there's a missunderstood between Parmigiano reggiano cheese and Parmesan.
They are NOT the same thing! AT ALL!
The original one is PARMIGIANO REGGIANO (Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano)
The other one is only a copy of worst quality.

If you want to eat healthier, just take a look at official site and you'll understand the difference!
Thanx, Simona

Yes, I would readily agree with that statement. I'm quite picky when it comes to the separation of those 2 cheeses. Generally, for myself I go to Wegman's for the cheeses, they have the best amount and ability to get them.
Thank you for helping to inform

I don't think anyone here truly thinks they are the same. Some of the conversation, or implications in some of the recipes, may be if you can't find Parmigiano-Reggiano then Parmesan will work just fine. Some smaller area and/or more rural area grocery stores may not carry Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Where's that powdered stuff Kraft puts out fit in?

It's way down on the totem pole :) They do have one that is real parmesan, but it's very different from the Italian. According to a recent Cook's Illustrated article, Italian Parm. Reg. is made from raw milk, the cows are pastured and have different microflora that affects flavor, the method of making cheese is different, and the cheese is aged for 24 months.

American parms. are usually made from pasteurized milk, the cows eat feed, and Kraft is aged only 10 months.

One of the first things I learned in cooking classes was how fabulous Parmigiano Reggiano is! I don't eat much cheese, but this is my favorite!

I was briefly trying to find different parmesan cheese the other day.... to errr... replace the green tube in my fridge door :ermm: not that I use it a lot ;)
Anyway, I noticed Kraft had either some different stuff out, or different packaging that is clear for their old product. I didn't spend that much time looking cuz I was in a hurry, but if I had seen the "good, authentic stuff" I would have picked some up.

Being of Italian descent I knew that :chef: Thanks for posting for those who don't know the difference. ;)

Now, now - let's not be snobby folks.

If you have a Whole Foods in your area, don't turn your nose down at the Argentinian Aged Parmesan they carry from time to time. This stuff is WONDERFUL, & I'd put it happily against the Italian stuff any time. And yes - I've had both.

I agree that real Parm Reg is the best.

Question though: how long will Reg keep in the fridge as a wedge and if it is shredded? I thought I heard on Food Network the other day the shredded stuff will keep for weeks if you want to buy the block and shred it yourself. True? All lies? What do you think?

I agree that real Parm Reg is the best.

Question though: how long will Reg keep in the fridge as a wedge and if it is shredded? I thought I heard on Food Network the other day the shredded stuff will keep for weeks if you want to buy the block and shred it yourself. True? All lies? What do you think?

If you spend the money to buy the real thing, store it as a whole wedge and shred it as needed. The wedge will last for months in the fridge.

agreed with andy.

i've found that grating a (juicy slice or) hunk of cheese has more flavor than cheese that has been stored after grating, sort of like freshly cracked black peppercorns.

plus, it's trippy to watch the tiny little curls melt as the hit the hot food below.

Yup - regardless of whether I buy Italian or Argentinian hard cheeses, I store them wrapped in the fridge & grate as needed. They last a long time, & when I get up to the last little tidbit, I make a nice big pot of Minestrone soup & toss the tidbit in.

Ok ok, I admit I have the 'green tube' in my fridge as well. But, I can't always afford the 'good' stuff so it is what it is. I make do as best I can, but it is hard sometimes to silence my taste buds!

Speaking of the "green tube", has anyone tried Kraft's latest gimmick, which is a piece of parmesan sealed inside a disposable grinder?

Back
Top Bottom