"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
Master Chef

I do it the way my grandmas did - which is the just about the way Jukia Child said to do it ... put the room temp eggs into a pot and cover with cold water - boil - when done drain the hot water, roll the eggs around in the pot to crack them, then cover with cold water until the eggs are cold. Then I roll them on the counter to crack the shells some more and peel under running water. Better than 90% success rate. I always use eggs that ar at least 7-10 days old - fresher eggs cause problems.

But - for those who want a tool to shoot the egg out of the shell for you:

The Instant Egg Peeler hooks to your faucet:

And, there is the amazing Eggstractor Egg Peeler!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Michael, but I will stick to my spoon!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Eggs in summer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, Michael, but I will stick to my spoon!
While I'll certainly give the spoon a try, (works great on alvocado halves, BTW), I couldn't help but laugh at the egg salad at summer camp from your first post. Our summers are so hot here in Dallas, I think there is a law against egg salad in the summer. Thanks for the tip.
Phil
Old 11-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I boil the eggs, dump out the hot water and vigorously shake the eggs around in the empty pot, cracking the shells. Then, I add ice and cold water and let them chill a bit. I peel them under slowly running water, using the slight pressure of the water to separate the shell from the egg. I've managed to peel hundreds of eggs (for work) in very little time.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
While I'll certainly give the spoon a try, (works great on alvocado halves, BTW), I couldn't help but laugh at the egg salad at summer camp from your first post. Our summers are so hot here in Dallas, I think there is a law against egg salad in the summer. Thanks for the tip.
Phil
Actually, Phil, we didn't make egg salad for 600, I used it for my vegetarians (who would eat eggs) on sandwich days and I had it on my cart in a bowl of ice and only ever made enough for the meal....oh, and myself. You get so tired of the food because you serve the same meals every week that you end up finding something you like an eating it. For me it was egg salad, no bread!

We did hard boil eggs a lot though through out the summer and somehow I got the wonderful job of peeling them.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None