"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Peeling hard boiled eggs without peeling

Hi folks. I'ts been too long since I've posted but it's never too late. I hard boiled eggs this past summer for an outdoor party and killed eight guests via food poisioning. I'm kidding, of course. Anyway, I stood for what seemed like hours peeling the suckers. I don't remember this being so difficult. My better half said that it is the age of the egg that determines the ease in peeling. The older the egg, the easier it peels. A few weeks ago I used some older eggs, same process of cooking, and they did peel easier. However, no restaurant does this and I was wondering what you folks do to make peeling easier. Then I found this...How to “Peel” Hard-Boiled Eggs Without Peeling
Do you believe this? I haven't tried it but it's amazing. Just don't tell your guests what you did.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
Head Chef

I think that is where the nickname "Blow Hard" came from.

Sorry but that method was supposed to be the deepest of dark secrets, so now we must ........

Actually with mine since I already had a pin hole made on the end before cooking, is just crack the other side and then blow from the pin hole.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Head Chef

I hope restaurants don't do it that way--I think the health department might fuss.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
My better half said that it is the age of the egg that determines the ease in peeling. The older the egg, the easier it peels. A few weeks ago I used some older eggs, same process of cooking, and they did peel easier.
Your wife was right. A fresh egg has a lower albumen PH than an older egg, which causes the albumen to adhere more to the shell than to itself. However, after the eggs haves been allowed to age for at least a couple of days, their PH raises to around 9.2, which makes them a lot easier to peel.

When restaurants receive eggs, they are normally already a couple days old, giving them enough time to peel easily. Plus, peeling eggs and other menial tasks are how dish washers and prep cooks get their foot in the door.

By the way, some people will add baking soda to their egg water to make the water more alkaline, which in turn will raise the PH of the eggs and make them easier to peel. Although this works, sodium bicarbonate will intensify the "sulfury" smell and flavor or your hard boiled eggs.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

Crack the egg ever so slightly before putting into the water. Perfect result is guaranteed.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Head Chef

You just learn the darndest things here!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Master Chef

Hey Phil... just wanted to say welcome back! It has been a long time!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, I worked at a summer camp where we cooked for 600 per meal. We would make egg salad and would use them in other salads and dishes as well. When you are peeling that many eggs you want to have an easy method of peeling and food safe regulations would not allow your wonderful technique.

I learned many things cooking at that camp, but I think one of the handiest was how to peel an egg. Crack it and insert a normal teaspoon between the egg and the shell and just move it around until the peel is all off. The shape of the spoon is just perfect and it works every time! Not as fun as blowing it off, but a little healthier!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

Hmmmm, maybe someone should invent a (sterile) pressure gun that could replace the mouth to shoot the egg out. I can see it now....college students shooting boiled eggs in to each other's mouths.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Head Chef

I'm another fan of using older eggs. After boiling, I drain the eggs and crack them a bit, then cover them in cold water. When they are cool, I gently roll them between my hands to loosten the shell and then peel them under running water. Usually work well, but I still get some tough ones now and then.

Tags
None