"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
I was also taught to crack the egg into a small cup, then gently lower it into the water. Never drop them in.
That is how I was taught too, Cheezy.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

The idea behind the vinegar is that it is acidic in nature and will raise the PH in the water. This will react with the egg protein, causing it to become more cohesive. I haven't tried it as I would think it would alter the flavor of the egg. I've also heard that if you stir the water, so as to make a funnel, you can drop the egg into the funnel and it will stay together better.

I've tried almost every technique you can think of, except using vinegar in the water. fresh from the chicken eggs aren't an option for me. They aren't available. I salt the water to season the egg while it's cooking, not because it helps hold the egg together, because it doesn't. The only method that has worked consistently for me, for truly poaching an egg, and maintaining its integrity, is to gently place the egg into water hot enough to cook it, but not hot enough to even create convective currents in the water. Then, there are no forces trying to disperse the egg. They come out whole, pretty, and great tasting.

If you have a way that works for you, and you enjoy the results, stick with it. You can try other techniques to see if they will give you superior results, just because we all should be learning new things, all the time. If they don't work, then go back to what you know works.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

From here:

Restaurants use the microwave to cook poached eggs most of the time.

Fill a soup-sized bowl w/ water and add a splash of vinegar. Break an egg into a separate bowl. Gently lower the lip of the bowl with the egg into the water and release the egg. Cover the bowl with a plate & microwave about 1 to 2 min, depending on how you like them. It will take a couple tries to get the timing down right.

Quick, utterly painless and they come out perfectly every time once you get the timing down for your microwave.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
From here:

Fill a soup-sized bowl w/ water and add a splash of vinegar. Break an egg into a separate bowl. Gently lower the lip of the bowl with the egg into the water and release the egg. Cover the bowl with a plate & microwave about 1 to 2 min, depending on how you like them. It will take a couple tries to get the timing down right.

Quick, utterly painless and they come out perfectly every time once you get the timing down for your microwave.
This intrigues me. Thanks, Zereh!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #15
Executive Chef

as CWS says a perfectly fresh egg is the key.This vid shows part of the method I was taught. The eggs are cooked in the water for 2 minutes then placed in iced water, when they are cold and firm you can trim and shape for presentation, you can then return to the iced water and keep in the fridge for 10 days without the egg deteriorating.To reheat, take the eggs out of the iced water and let them reach room temp then poach for 1 minute.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make a poached egg, I make it to be eaten then. The only time I want cold eggs is in egg salad or deviled eggs. I certainly don't want an ice cold poached egg. I have never understood that method for use in the home.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
From here:

Wow! I've never worked anywhere they've used a microwave for poached eggs, it makes sense though.... Hmmm... Off for an experiment I think!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I make a poached egg, I make it to be eaten then. The only time I want cold eggs is in egg salad or deviled eggs. I certainly don't want an ice cold poached egg. I have never understood that method for use in the home.
I think this would be a great idea if you were having a crowd over for brunch! It's not like you are going to eat the cold egg! If you had these all ready the day before, you could come home from church on Sunday and have poached eggs ready for a crowd in about a minute. Sounds like that might work for home use.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I have to try the microwave method. What a nice idea!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
Head Chef

hmmmmm

This will bug me until I try it, I just know. =P

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None