"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #31
Sous Chef
And we do like our veal. On the dairy farms I've been on, the impregnation is au natural - average about 10 cows for one bull. Now who's doing all the work? (LOL) There are a lot of things in our food chain that are not pleasant, but we do like to eat, don't we? Many of the things that are done are by regulation are for our own food safety. The guidelines that a dairy farmer has to follow are much stricter than those not in the business can imagine. And the dairy farmer's life, and that of his family, is no bed of roses either. 24/7/365, like it or get out of the business.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #32
Head Chef
Ben and Jerry's ice cream is a drop in the bucket. If B & J uses breast milk, what about the dozens of other ice cream companies that will still use cow's milk? What about ALL of the dairy products we consume e.g. cheese, milk, cream, butter, yogurt, etc. As I said B & J isn't going to solve the problem. What problem??

Okay, here's a math question: How many women pumping breast milk will it take to to satisfy the demands of the entire dairy industry? And if a woman is lactating, isn't she using her milk to feed her own child? The whole idea is absurd. This is one of the reasons so many people find PETA a joke.

Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
Old 09-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #33
Assistant Cook
Just one more reason for me not to eat ben and Jerry's, I never liked their product anyways ;)
Old 09-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #34
Sous Chef
I think the PETA didn't actually intend Ben and Jerry's to use breast milk. Even crazies like them know it would be near impossible to mass produce that much human milk. I think they are simply trying to make a point. We scoff at women lined up at a breast pump being milked like cows and they want to compare the cows to humans saying it's just as bad to do it to them. Apparently they use such comparisons quite a bit. Awhile back they compared a murder on a bus in Canada where someone beheaded a person and started to eat him, saying a butcher does the same thing and shows no remorse about beheading the animal. They have also pictured caged chickens next to holocaust photos. I just read a whole article on it. I'd link the site but it's highly political so if you want the link PM me.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #35
Head Chef
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Don't worry John. They won't be going that direction with their product! You can still enjoy your Chunky Monkey (or whatever your fave flavor is).
I'm really not a chunky monkey kind of guy, but hook me up with some pineapple and coconut and I'm good to go!
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #36
Head Chef
Never get in the way of a milk cow with full udders and her milking machine.
She'll knock you over.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
When more threads have to be deleted than left you know it's time to close it. I should have pulled the thread in the beginning. Anything PETA is just too controversial. There are many forums on the Internet for these types of discussions.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Closed Thread