Pimento Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try this before you spend the money to make a batch.

0002100061257_215X215.jpg

I have yet to taste it on an English muffin, toast, or any other bread product. As soon as that cap comes off, the spoon goes in and stays there until the jar is empty. Same thing with the English Cheddar jar. Definitely going on my next shopping list. Although the English Cheddar does make it to a grilled cheese sometimes.

My grocery store sells the ends of their cold cuts and cheeses. Sometimes, there is a quality imported cheese ends available. But I still would rather have that jar of pimento cheese. :angel:

You could even melt that down and add fresh pimento cheese. Leave in the mayo to thin the sauce. Add some cooked broccoli and noodles or serve with onion rice

Onion Rice is just white rice cooked in onion soup mix:

2C white rice
4C water
1 pkg. Onion Soup Mix

Simmer 15 minutes, fluff, another 15 minutes, fluff and leave uncovered.
Fills 3 quart baggies.

You could even melt that down and add fresh pimento cheese. Leave in the mayo to thin the sauce. Add some cooked broccoli and noodles or serve with onion rice

Onion Rice is just white rice cooked in onion soup mix:

2C white rice
4C water
1 pkg. Onion Soup Mix

Simmer 15 minutes, fluff, another 15 minutes, fluff and leave uncovered.
Fills 3 quart baggies.

I have never been rice impaired. I can easily understand why some are though. And I always thought that the rice in a bag was great for those that are. So I always just made rice when it was called for. It never occurred to me to make it ahead of time and freeze it. I do flavor it, when I make it. Just stir in a cup of frozen petite peas and I will be happy. But I will have to freeze it in smaller quantities. If I use my bags for my food saver, they are boilable bags. Thanks. :angel:

Wow this brings back memories. For 25 years I've been going on mini golf trips with my friends, some of which are no longer with us. One place we stop is in South Georgia, a public state ran course, has a quaint snack bar. The lady who ran it retired a few year back in her late 70's. She made the best, but weird, pimento cheese sandwich. Of course it was white bread, pimento cheese and a round ring of pinapple from the can. Man was it good. I can't remember the dear lady's name, but thanks for the memories.

It is also good mixed into a baked potato for a quick version of twice baked potatoes.

The high amount of fat makes this a great way to freeze a couple of extra baked potatoes. Scoop out the potato, mix in a good amount of pimento cheese, pile the mixture back into the shells, wrap and freeze. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator, then bake until hot and bubbly.

I have never been rice impaired. I can easily understand why some are though. And I always thought that the rice in a bag was great for those that are. So I always just made rice when it was called for. It never occurred to me to make it ahead of time and freeze it. I do flavor it, when I make it. Just stir in a cup of frozen petite peas and I will be happy. But I will have to freeze it in smaller quantities. If I use my bags for my food saver, they are boilable bags. Thanks. :angel:
I only use brown rice, so it takes close to an hour to cook it if I'm not using brown basmati.

I started freezing it in the '80s. I would freeze single servings in wax paper and put all the little packets in a plastic bag and then into the freezer. Then when in a hurry, I would empty as many servings as I needed into a colander and steam them for a couple of minutes. I didn't realize I could just nuke them. They came out perfect.

It is also good mixed into a baked potato for a quick version of twice baked potatoes.

The high amount of fat makes this a great way to freeze a couple of extra baked potatoes. Scoop out the potato, mix in a good amount of pimento cheese, pile the mixture back into the shells, wrap and freeze. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator, then bake until hot and bubbly.

I have always made 2x baked potatoes and mixed them with various other ingredients. Sour cream, chives and cheese. But just plain American cheese. If only I had thought of the pimento. My mouth is absolutely watering.

Note to self: 2x potatoes with cheese and rice for the freezer. :angel:

I have always made 2x baked potatoes and mixed them with various other ingredients. Sour cream, chives and cheese. But just plain American cheese. If only I had thought of the pimento. My mouth is absolutely watering.

Note to self: 2x potatoes with cheese and rice for the freezer. :angel:

Addie,

I have never used the commercial pimento cheese for this only the homemade. You might need to melt the Kraft cheese in the microwave and thin it with some milk or sour cream.

B

Addie,

I have never used the commercial pimento cheese for this only the homemade. You might need to melt the Kraft cheese in the microwave and thin it with some milk or sour cream.

B

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. Every little bit of info is a big help. :angel:

I just made and tried my latest batch of Pimento Cheese, this time adding Pepper Jack to the mix. Yummmmmmmy.

This batch has extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack, bleu cheese crumbles and parm with diced pimentos and mayo.

Yumm, your latest version sounds divine Z! I think I'll make a batch for Christmas Eve.
By the way, it presents nicely for company if you press it into a small bowl, and flip it out onto a pretty plate. Garnish with parsley.

Last edited:
I just made and tried my latest batch of Pimento Cheese, this time adding Pepper Jack to the mix. Yummmmmmmy.

This batch has extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack, bleu cheese crumbles and parm with diced pimentos and mayo.

Oh, this DOES sound good! I haven't had pimento cheese in years - I think I'll make some of this for New Years Day. :yum:

I was putting together my shopping list and was all set to replenish my salad fixins.

I did a quick check of the vegetable crisper and found celery, carrots and a cucumber that need to be used up, I decided I better go with finger salads for the rest of the week.

What better way to use up a bunch of crisp, healthy, low calorie vegetables than a batch of pimento cheese for dipping and smearing!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The vegetables have been prepped and are crisping in ice water, the cheese spread is chilling, can't wait for lunch! :yum:

Last year I finally was able to find a couple pimento pepper plants. By fall I'd harvested enough to peel dice seed them, and freeze them for future use, I saved some to dehydrate and grind to make paprika, and saved the seeds for future plantings. (I'm in WI and in the north, pimento cheese is not as easily found as in the southern states.)

I started the pimento seeds this February and planted a patch of them last week outside. I have another dozen pimento pepper plants left over if anyone is interested in them.

Pimento cheese on celery is low carb, crunchy, delicious! Hail to pimento cheese.

Wow this brings back memories. For 25 years I've been going on mini golf trips with my friends, some of which are no longer with us. One place we stop is in South Georgia, a public state ran course, has a quaint snack bar. The lady who ran it retired a few year back in her late 70's. She made the best, but weird, pimento cheese sandwich. Of course it was white bread, pimento cheese and a round ring of pinapple from the can. Man was it good. I can't remember the dear lady's name, but thanks for the memories.
That's a new one on me! Sounds terrific. Thanks for idea.

All the pimento peppers are harvested for the year, so it is Pimento Cheese celebration at my house.
I roasted up 3 of them, they are a lovely red, with a nice thick flesh, peeled, seeded, diced.
I'm making up a plain cheese spread along with a big container of Pimento cheese. Yum.
Grill Cheese sandwiches, an addition to any cold meat sandwich, melted in a bowl to eat with tortillas. I love this time of year. Two carb eaters in the house, and I'll have some on the celery we grew this summer, fresh out of the garden.

All the pimento peppers are harvested for the year, so it is Pimento Cheese celebration at my house.
I roasted up 3 of them, they are a lovely red, with a nice thick flesh, peeled, seeded, diced.
I'm making up a plain cheese spread along with a big container of Pimento cheese. Yum.
Grill Cheese sandwiches, an addition to any cold meat sandwich, melted in a bowl to eat with tortillas. I love this time of year. Two carb eaters in the house, and I'll have some on the celery we grew this summer, fresh out of the garden.

Sounds wonderful :yum:

Heading over to Blissful's for pimento cheese. :yum:
Oh Dawg, I'll share with you anytime! I ended up with 5 - 1 lb containers of the regular cheese spread, and 2 - 1 lb containers of the pimento cheese. Stuck the majority into the freezer and two containers to enjoy in the fridge. Let yourself in and we'll enjoy some broiled pimento cheese over french bread slices, and a little wine. :)

Back
Top Bottom