Pimento Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My grandmother... Such good memories.

Kathleen: I grew up with my maternal GM making pimento cheese. She had a hand-crank meat grinder she used for the cheddar cheese, then she'd add the mayonnaise and pimento. We had it on white bread...Yum. She was from the southwestern part of Virginia. So many I mention pimento cheese to say they've never heard of it, or it sounds yucky. So wrong! :yum:

My GM also made the best deviled eggs under the sun. A touch of mayo, a little dry mustard, a little white vinegar...salt, and paprika. I'm making myself hungry.

My Grandma made it with leftover cheeses, pimento, sour cream, minced sweet pickles and mayo.
My Mom made it with velveeta and pimento and diced onion.
I grate various cheeses(mostly cheddar) with jarred pimento, minced dried onion and a bit of jarred diced jalapenoes, minced garlic with a couple of spoons of mayo or sour cream. Mine has to sit a bit to hydrate the onion.

Bump! I just made my first batch of pimento cheese and gobbled it up on a slice of white bread. It's divine! I only used sharp cheddar, pimento's and some mayo with just a tsp. of horseradish. I'm totally enjoying this thread and all the different variations you can use. This is totally going to be a refrig staple. Glorious concoction!

Glad you like it, mmyap. I just made some yesterday: Extra sharp cheddar and a hefty sprinkle of grated parm. I like it on English muffins.

Bump! I just made my first batch of pimento cheese and gobbled it up on a slice of white bread. It's divine! I only used sharp cheddar, pimento's and some mayo with just a tsp. of horseradish. I'm totally enjoying this thread and all the different variations you can use. This is totally going to be a refrig staple. Glorious concoction!

It sounds lovely :yum:

I'm very skeptical of liking pimento cheese, but curious. Do you think it would work (in a small batch) to pull the pimentos out of olives and use them?

The flavor wouldn't be the same, but it would probably be tasty. I'd probably dice the whole olive and just leave the pimento in place.

Try this before you spend the money to make a batch.

0002100061257_215X215.jpg

We dont have that particular cheese spread over here

Too bad. Every time I buy it, the crackers never see it. It goes straight into my mouth with a spoon. That jar is really a glass and is the perfect size for little hands that are just learning to drink out of a glass. I had about six of them when my kids were small. I painted the outside of them with cartoon figures. :angel:

We have the Kraft Cheddar Cheese spread and the white cheese spread, but never seen or heard of that one...is it made differently or something?

We have the Kraft Cheddar Cheese spread and the white cheese spread, but never seen or heard of that one...is it made differently or something?

Do you have them in the same jar as the Pimento? It is made with Neufachel cheese which is a soft cream cheese and has pimentos added. Delicious! :angel:

They are in a glass jar, but a different shape

Originally it was in a similar shaped glass jar

9300650356474.jpg

9300650356450.jpg

Now it is in this shaped glass jar

large.jpg

kraft-cheddarspread230.png

Last edited:
If you have a cheese shop, you can buy the Neufachel cheese. It should be sold like regular cream cheese in a block.

I don't know of any cheese shops around here but we do have continental delicatessens. They may sell some :)

I couldn't stand it any longer, I mixed up a small batch of pimento cheese today!

4 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces cream cheese
1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise
1 whole pimento pepper, coarsely chopped
a good shake of cayenne pepper
a good shake of onion powder

Beat until fluffy, not smooth with a hand mixer. Chill, overnight is best.

I used Goya brand pimento today, two whole pimento peppers packed in water. They tasted good and were fairly inexpensive compared to some of the other brands.

My supermarket has two whole long aisles dedicated to Goya products. And it is not only folks of the Latino persuasion that are shopping on those aisles. More and more the word is spreading that they have some excellent products and are often priced lower than the national brands that most of us are familiar with. I keep hearing more and more good things about Goya. I think it is time I took a stroll down those aisles. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom