"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Kades,I have had both at the same time and to me the french was stronger but I guess it's a personal thing but I read some where it was said the french was stronger and I hafto agree. I liked the swiss version better.
I think cheese is a personal choice,meaning we all take it in different plus I think some brands are better than others.
Again thats just my opinion.Not to start anything but maybe the guy was wrong but we are all ruled by our own taste buds and what we like so I dont know what else to say.
Here is what I read and that is their brand which I had.
French RacletteThe world’s most famous melting cheese, Raclette is made in the Alps on both sides of the French-Swiss border. The French version is perhaps a bit softer than Swiss Raclette, but the two taste very similar. Raclette has a semi-soft interior dotted with small holes and a rosy inedible rind. Eaten as a table cheese, Raclette has a smooth, creamy taste that is neither too salty nor sharp. However, our French Raclette tends to have a strong, pungent aroma that is not for the timid. This cheese is traditionally melted (a half wheel is placed in a fireplace, then the melted top surface is continuously scraped off) and layered atop boiled potatoes, pickles, fresh vegetables and sliced meats.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Kades,I have had both at the same time and to me the french was stronger but I guess it's a personal thing but I read some where it was said the french was stronger and had I hafto agree.
I think cheese is a personal choice,meaning we all take it in different plus I think some brands are better than others.
Again thats just my opinion.Not to start anything but maybe the guy was wrong but we are all ruled by our own taste buds and what we like so I dont know what else to say.
Oh that's okay, I was just curious The one he sold me was very creamy and mellow so who knows Next time I'll look closer...Thanks

kadesma

Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Here is my humble opinion all cheeses the great ,the ones that are aged meaning the hard cheeses are awsome but some of the soft cheeses can go bad.Case in point.Brie it is wonderful but when the rind goes brown and has an ammonia taste its really bad and I wont touch it if it's fresh I will eat the rind and all.Plus Im really picky with blue cheese I like the german carambolza as it is quite mild.Goat cheese to me is only good if it is really fresh when it is old I will not touch it.When it's old it's way too strong for me
Old 02-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Here is my humble opinion all cheeses the great ,the ones that are aged meaning the hard cheeses are awsome but some of the soft cheeses can go bad.Case in point.Brie it is wonderful but when the rind goes brown and has an ammonia taste its really bad and I wont touch it if it's fresh I will eat the rind and all.Plus Im really picky with blue cheese I like the german carambolza as it is quite mild.Goat cheese to me is only good if it is really fresh when it is old I will not touch it.When it's old it's way too strong for me
Same here, I like goat cheese but if it's old ICK!!! Blue I love it, but in small amounts and I do like the carambolza.Brie while I use because my girls love it, I tend to have maybe a bite and that's it..I like all cheeses even limburger which my granddad use to bring home, pare off some and plop on top of fresh warm cruncy french bread with a slice of german head cheese Loved it as a kid, now keep the head cheese limbergers alone with a cracker is fine

kadesma
Old 02-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Kades.I also think cheese can be a totally mood thing and Im with you on the blue cheese thing a little goes a long way and can be way to strong I can do a bit of the Stella Gorganzola Cheese and other times I can do alot I still think it has to do with how old it is.I also believe it's a taste bud thing some people have more taste buds then others.They say if you are really sensitive to bitter tastes you are a super taster.I hate the bitter taste but I dont think Im a super taster maybe something in between.But I do believe some of us can really taste more in a food than the general public.

Tags
None