"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-27-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Planning a raclette party

Fondue was very popular at one time, but how many of us have a fondue set stored in a closet somewhere and never use it?

Raclette is another story... I have several raclette dinners a year. It is perfect winter food, and makes for a very convivial and easy-to-prepare meal.

Raclette machines are not very expensive, and all you have to do is find the right cheese and cut it into slices (or have the store cut it).

On Saturday, I'm planning a Swiss wine tasting (6 different vintages of Pinot Noir made by a friend of mine in the Valais region) and raclette dinner for 15 people.

Other than cheese, and loosely based on the Swiss tradition, I will provide:
- lots of boiled potatoes
- crusty country-style bread
- pickled onions
- a range of delicatessen meats, including viande séchée des Grisons (dried beef)
- big bowls of mixed green salad
- a dessert that has yet to be decided: my wife was thinking of molding chocolate mousse into a mountain shape, covering it with "snow" and planting a Swiss flag on top!

Best regards,
Alex R.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Don't forget cornichons. However, I imagine you are the expert on that. We gave our kids a raclette "machine" for Christmas. Had a WONDerful dinner at a raclette restaurant in Paris--Au Piano Muet on rue Mouffetard.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
A Mont Blanc dessert may be what you are looking for after the Raclette.
I lived in Italy for many years and had a sister-in-law in Samedan (just out of St Moritz), Switzerland. We ate Raclette many times with her and the family and once she served Mont Blanc. This dessert is of pureed chestnuts with chocolate and covered in meringue, in the shape of a mountain. And if you can create a shape resembling the REAL Mont Blanc even better.
I have never made this dessert, but a search using Mont Blanc dessert should give you some recipes.

Have fun!!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Love Raclette parties!! Received a 6# half-round of Raclette cheese for Christmas and we're still playing with it - thank God it freezes so well!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Okay the list is growing - stone for the oven, a raclette machine, uhmmmm, bigger boat!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Dessert

In keeping with the Swiss theme, purchase some good Swiss dark chocolate and serve with port wine. The combo is out of this world delicious!

Please stop by my blog:<link removed>
Old 02-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Head Chef

Wow, I've never heard of a raclette machine or a raclette party! In fact, I only learned of raclette (LOVE it!) 7 or 8 years ago, when I saw it at Trader Joe's.

What a cool idea!

Lee
Old 02-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

We had our first about a month ago..I was rather worried as the men around here are not fonduers or salad nibblers at meal time..I talked to the young fellow where I shop who is the buyer for a beautiful cheese department, and he suggested the raclette cheese from France instead of the swiss type. He said the french type was more mellow so we tried that and it was wonderful..I had the tiny par boiled yukon gold potatoes, cornichons, tiny boiled pickled onions, I also had procuitto which we wrapped around the potatoes then dipped into the melted cheese, The little onions they placed on a round slice of coppa then dipped that into the cheese..My guys ate everything and asked to do it again soon.
Enjoy your party.
kadesma
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Some blanched asparagus is also good.I had it the first time in germany for the 2000 New Years loved it.
I have since bought an inexpensive raclette grill.
You can also use Gruyere,Ementaller or Appenzeller if you cant get Raclette.I have to order Raclette from IGourmet.
There is also a french Raclette it's more pungent and softer than the swiss.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Some blanched asparagus is also good.I had it the first time in germany for the 2000 New Years loved it.
I have since bought an inexpensive raclette grill.
You can also use Gruyere,Ementaller or Appenzeller if you cant get Raclette.I have to order Raclette from IGourmet.
There is also a french Raclette it's more pungent and softer than the swiss.
JP,
have you had the chance to try the french raclete? I wasn't sure which to get when I shopped so I asked the young man who runs the cheese department..He suggested the french as a first try, saying that the swiss was rather smelly and strong and we probably like a milder cheese..Next time I do plan to try the swiss, I'm a cheese lover so won't mind if it is strong. Just wondering your take on the two cheeses and which you prefer.

kadesma

Tags
None