Poll: What is your favorite cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite cheese?

• Total voters
I forgot to name my favorite and how I use it. That would be Balderson 5-year Aged Heritage Cheddar. The finest white cheddar I've ever tasted (admitting that I haven't been to England to taste the original). It's an award winning Canadian cheese that is superb at room temperature served with fruit and crackers. Though I love to also just slice off a bit and munch it. It's soooo good, has that light salt crunch with a ballanced cheddar flavor and slightly crumbly texture.

And then theirs Gruyere... :) with some sliced baraunschieger on the side.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed - if you ever get the chance to try a 4 or 5-year aged Gouda please do so - the way you describe it is very similar - and this cheese can also be left out of the refrigerator.

kitchenelf said:
Goodweed - if you ever get the chance to try a 4 or 5-year aged Gouda please do so - the way you describe it is very similar - and this cheese can also be left out of the refrigerator.

Yum!!! Aged gouda. That and aged Jack are my #2 and #3 favorites.

Aged cheeses often taste entirely different from their unaged counterparts.

I presume that what Americans called 'aged' is what we call 'mature' or 'extra mature'?

Ishbel said:
I presume that what Americans called 'aged' is what we call 'mature' or 'extra mature'?

I'm assuming it is Ishbel - gouda is a whitish cheese - aged guda is a wonderful orange/golden color and firm but not as quite as a Parmesan.

I've never tried Compte - I will look for it next time I go to a "real" cheese shop - can you give me a description?

I voted for every single one other than the Kraft plastic cheese. I still eat the plastic cheese, but it just not a favorite :)

As for my favorite way to prepare...There are too many to pick from. I love cheese by itself. I love it on crackers, with veggies, melted, in dips, and just about any other way you can eat it.

Compte is much like Gruyere but it's made in France.

To be caled "Gruyere" it must be made in Switzerland.

I find Compte to be a bit milder than Gruyere, although not always ....

Thanks, Elf
I have to confess, I'm not too keen on Dutch cheeses - although they always seem to taste better in Holland!

We seem to have a different coding system

Mild
Medium
Mature*
Extra Mature*
Vintage

*These are often 'Farmhouse' - or farm specific cheeses

(I'm sure I've missed one or more out of the system!)

I suppose cheddar is one of our favorites. I just bought a 26lb wheel of black rind cheddar for our family reunion. Hope it is enjoyed by everyone.

Back
Top Bottom