"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
View Poll Results: What is your favorite cheese?
Monterey Jack/Pepper Jack/Munster 11 26.83%
Cheddar/Longhorn/Tillamook/Colby 13 31.71%
Swiss/Jarlsberg/Provolone/Fontina 11 26.83%
Edam/Gouda 2 4.88%
Buffalo Mozzerella/String Mozzerella 4 9.76%
Feta/Bleu/Stilton/Gorgonzola 9 21.95%
Brie/Camembert/Havarti/Boursin 11 26.83%
Asiago/Parmesan/Romano 13 31.71%
Ricotta/Neufchatel/Quesco Fresco/Mascarpone 3 7.32%
Kraft American Singles in the plastic wrapper 1 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen
Poll: What is your favorite cheese?

What is your favorite cheese?
...and what is the way you love to prepare it?

PS - This is a multiple choice poll - vote for as many as you'd like, but make them your very favorites!

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
mozzerella. i like it as is. i also scramble it with eggs and eat that for breakfast. i love it melted over chicken too

middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Master Chef
Can you agg GRUYERE? I know it's swiss but it tastes so much different than emmenthaler, etc.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Don't forget about Goat Cheese or Chevre. That's my favorite.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
Master Chef
I second the vote for Gruyere. And the pairings made this a difficult poll to answer correctly. For instance, I love the creamy/dairy flavor of Muenster, but am not overly fond of the jack cheeses. And I adore the Havarti but dislike the rpened cheeses in that group. The textures of the pairings are good, but the flavors are extremely different.

To be fair IMHO, the cheeses need to stand by themselves to get an accurate read of what people like and dislike.

Even as an type of cheese, their are wildly different grades and quality. Artisan cheeses are more robust than their mass-produced counterparts. You can get heritage cheddar aged 5 years that bears little resemblance to the standard fair found in supermarkets. Any poll about cheeses is almost too broad, by the very nature of the product. It would be like asking - What is your favorite candy bar, and grouping Caramello/Reeses Peanut Butter Cups/bluberry truffle together against say, Snickers/Baby Ruth/Planter's Peanut Bar. The first group all have a filled center, and the latter all have peanuts. Btu other than that, each candy bar is tremendously different than their paired siblings.

I hope I'm not being too much the sour grape on this one, but personally, I just can't make the pairings work for me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Head Chef
Let's see.......

I voted in the cheddar group. I love many cheeses, but my favorites are aged (antique) white cheddars like the ones from Tillamook or Cabot:

As for how I LIKE it? I like a cheese just about any way I can get it, but if we're talking 'top notch' cheeses I just like a nice variety on a platter with some fruit and simple crackers.
Dogs have owners ~ Cats have staff.
The Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef
There are very few that I don't like.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
My favorite is gruyere: here is my favorite way to eat it:
Gougeres (The best little cheese puffs you will EVER have!)

A little bit about this recipe:

This recipe came to me in the mail, as part of an advertisement for a cooking magazine. I never did subscribe to the magazine but i fell in love with the recipe. It is so easy to make and your dinner guests will be falling all over themselves to tell you how much they love these. They taste so good that people will be sure you spent hours carefully blending the batter. It is up to you to tell them the truth or allow them to remain in the dark.

• 5 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg (you can use nutmeg from a can or jar but the gougeres are better with fresh)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup grated gruyere cheese (I have tried other cheeses but they just do not compare to gruyere)
  • 5 large eggs at room temperature, VERY IMPORTANT, make certain they are at room temperature!

Making the Gougeres:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees

In a medium sauce pan add the butter, water, salt, pepper and nutmeg to a boil over medium high heat. When the butter is melted, reduce heat to low.

Add all the flour at once and cook over a low heat while blending with a wooden spoon for about one minute until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat.

Add the cheese all at once and blend until well incorporated. Add 4 of the eggs, one at a time beating each egg until it is thoroughly absorbed. Continue beating until the batter is shiny, smooth and firm.

Drop small spoonful of batter on to a lightly greased cookie sheet (I use a spray, like PAM) to form the gougeres. Beat the remaining egg with a 1/2 tablespoon of water and brush the tops of the uncooked gougeres with the egg wash.

Bake in the upper third of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and about double in size.

You can serve these hot or at room temperature.
Where you are is where you belong, it is where you are going that you can change
SpiceUmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #9
Master Chef
I voted on the blue cheese group, but I love ALL cheese!

Kraft plastic is very low on the list, but we usually have some on hand as a convenience for sandwiches, and for the kids coming in and out who don't know any better. Really, the fat free style is just as good as any of it. It all tastes like plastic.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef
We use cheddar more than anything in this house, but I will only buy the extra-sharp white tillamook cheddar (lucky for me, they sell it at Costco).

We are big on cheese in this house, one of our drawers in the fridge is our cheese drawer. Personally, I like almost all the cheeses on the list and I think every cheese has its place. Brie on warm baguette, fresh mozz with tomatoes and basil, parm on pasta, gorgonzola or goat cheese on salads...oh the list could go on and on.

corazon is offline   Reply With Quote