"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

At what temperature did you bake them? I wonder if a higher temperature would have a better result.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I baked them at 375 degrees. Also, I wondered if leaving them in the oven longer would do the trick, but the inside of the one I tasted was already hot enough; I feared that if I let them stay in there longer then they would either become too dry or worse.

Need ideas on what to cook or bake tonight? Check us out at:
http://www.rookstocooks.com
Efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Head Chef

I would favour a baked version. I think it might work if done in the same way that I bake suppli (risotto balls containing cheese in centre). I do those at Mark 7 for 15 - 20 mins. That should provide a crisper exterior and also melt the cheese inside.

Another version (with arancini - similar to suppli) is cooked with oil almost one inch deep in frying pan.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

The fried one looks delicious! I think they will give nice side dish. Got to try them. Thanks for the recipe and thank god for bacon! ;-)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrain View Post
...In contrast, baking the potato balls provided a non-crispy, almost soft, outside and the cheese was not fully melted on the inside...
You may want to try again with a hotter oven and cook for a longer time. The outside should brown and get crispy while the cheese melts completely.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You may want to try again with a hotter oven and cook for a longer time. The outside should brown and get crispy while the cheese melts completely.
Yes...that's what I was suggesting in my post above #13. Incidentally, the 'shallow' fry method I mentioned (in oil about 1" deep) would obviously require turning over.

Tags
cheese, potato, recipe

Potato Cheese Balls Simple Starter you love to take before your dinner starts or an additional snack with rice or meal. Very simple ingredients i have used, normally available at your home. Me and my family just love it. The best part is when mashed Potato flavor goes with the soft cheese inside with a crunchy and crispy crust outside. You can better present it with some Garlic Sauce or any red or green chilli chutnee if you want to have some spicy flavour. I will later on share some Chutnee Recipes with you people. But for now i will go by sharing my recipe.. POTATO CHEESE BALLS You will need: 4 medium sized boiled Potatoes 1/4 tbsp red crushed pepper 1/4 tbsp black pepper 1/2 tbsp salt 1 tsp hot sauce Bar of Cheddar cheese (make it into small blocks) 1 egg and Bread crumbs for coating Oil for frying Steps to follow Mash boiled Potatoes, add spices in it with Sauce. You can adjust your spices according to your taste, what i have adjusted its medium spicy. Make it shape with round balls with chedder cheese inside. Never use mozzarella cheese if there is written cheddar cheese. chedder cheese gives a smoothy flowy texture while mozzarella always gives a sticky mixture like of Pizza's topping. First coat it with the beaten egg Then second coating goes with the Bread Crumbs, if you like more crunch repeat this process twice. Otherwise i found it good with only single coating of egg + bread crumbs. deep fry balls in a pan on medium flame After frying... Yummy Ready.. enjoy !!! 3 stars 1 reviews