"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Head Chef

I'll go with that thought PF

Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I think it must be different than butter buds. The fat content and ingredients list are substantially different. 22 percent fat for the powdered butter vs ) fat for Butter Buds. Has anyone actually tried this stuff?

Click image for larger version

Name:	butter buds.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	18799

Click image for larger version

Name:	powdere butter.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	18800

Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

No I haven't, Janet. If you get it what are you planning on using it in? I'm interested in it's uses, too!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I don't have any specific plans to use it but it's intriguing and I think it would be great for camping and sailing where both spoilage storage space are concerns. I'm just not willing to plunk down 25 bucks to experiment....
Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This is the brand in the store. It appears there are recipes.

Powdered Butter | #10 can | honeyvillegrain.com
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
It's butter flavor - most of it contains some form of dextrose and dehydrated buttermilk. Fat doesn't dehydrate very well and butter is mostly fat. It's similar to Butter Buds, which I'm sure most of us have seen from time to time. I'm sure the production process is simliar to what Butter Buds describes:

Butter Buds are produced from real butter through an enzymatic process that releases the flavor components of butter from the fat and water. After the flavor is released, it is then spray-dried to a powderlike form that is encapsulated with a water-soluble coating. The resulting products, Sprinkles and Mix, contain the original flavor of butter without the fat and cholesterol.

In other words - YUCK! Only a survivalist could love it, LOL! I sure wouldn't try to bake with it - butter is 83% fat. I'll stick to actual butter, myself.

Might be good sprinkled on popcorn ... depends on how it actually tastes. Not all the volatiles in butter are equal, sort of depends in what proportion each one is "saved" to the dehydrated powder substance. I wouldn't have a use for a whole can of the stuff though.
I was given a handful of sample sachets of Butter Buds when I was in Lakeland once. I have to agree, "Yuck" about describes them. In the event of a the-end-of-the-world-is-nigh scenario I think I'd rather do without butter if dehydrated butter was all that was available.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
It's butter flavor - most of it contains some form of dextrose and dehydrated buttermilk. Fat doesn't dehydrate very well and butter is mostly fat. It's similar to Butter Buds, which I'm sure most of us have seen from time to time. I'm sure the production process is simliar to what Butter Buds describes:

Butter Buds are produced from real butter through an enzymatic process that releases the flavor components of butter from the fat and water. After the flavor is released, it is then spray-dried to a powderlike form that is encapsulated with a water-soluble coating. The resulting products, Sprinkles and Mix, contain the original flavor of butter without the fat and cholesterol.

In other words - YUCK! Only a survivalist could love it, LOL! I sure wouldn't try to bake with it - butter is 83% fat. I'll stick to actual butter, myself.

Might be good sprinkled on popcorn ... depends on how it actually tastes. Not all the volatiles in butter are equal, sort of depends in what proportion each one is "saved" to the dehydrated powder substance. I wouldn't have a use for a whole can of the stuff though.
In the 1980s there was a European butter mountain" ie over-production =drop in prices=surplus. One of the ways that were used to get rid of it was "concentrated" butter. Basically butter with a lot of the liquid removed (but not dried butter) It was no good for spreading but fine for cooking. You could sauté in it as it was a bit like clarified butter - but not, IYSWIM - and for baking you had to use more liquid in the mix. It sold well and wasn't at all bad.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In the 1980s there was a European butter mountain" ie over-production =drop in prices=surplus. One of the ways that were used to get rid of it was "concentrated" butter. Basically butter with a lot of the liquid removed (but not dried butter) It was no good for spreading but fine for cooking. You could sauté in it as it was a bit like clarified butter - but not, IYSWIM - and for baking you had to use more liquid in the mix. It sold well and wasn't at all bad.
I think the Danes got rid of their excess butter by selling butter cookies cheap. I wasn't complaining.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This is the brand in the store. It appears there are recipes.

Powdered Butter | #10 can | honeyvillegrain.com
Search "Powdered Butter recipes" on the site. There's even a Fudge recipe, Janet! I know how you love your Chocolate!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think the Danes got rid of their excess butter by selling butter cookies cheap. I wasn't complaining.
Actually I wonder if that might not have some basis in truth ... I seem to remember awhile there that they seemed to be EVERYWHERE, and not any thing like as expensive as they seemed to be when I was a kid ...

Tags
butter