"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Powdered milk?

Does anyone use this stuff? Or do they even still make it? We rarely drink milk at our house. I had to stop drinking it when nursing the little one, and it has never agreed with us since, so we switched to soy or rice milk. I still use milk when I bake (i.e quick breads), and occasionally can use the rice or soy (pancakes, etc.). It would be much easier to keep a box of this stuff on hand than to have to run to the store, but I was wondering if it is the "same" as milk, and if I would need to make adjustments. Any suggestions?

Old 12-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I keep it on hand. I don't use it for drinking, but as an ingredient. I also have used it to make evaporated milk.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
Everymom

I use it. It is a bit expensive, but lasts forever. It is the same as milk. You can do whatever you need to do with this stuff.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I havent used it, but with the price of milk, it's a good idea, it does last a long time.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I grew up on that stuff and prefer the taste over regular milk. Around here it's simply known as 'non-fat dry milk.' It has a slightly sweeter taste (I think)than regular milk and a cup of it will cure my absurd heartburn situation immediately. Two thumbs up from me!
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #6

Cool! Thanks for all the suggestions and info! I will definitely have to buy some the next time I go to the store!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Carnation is a national brand. Wal-mart has their own brand as do most of the local chains.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
Master Chef

Powdered milk is non-fat - fat will go rancid so it has to be removed to make the milk powder shelf stable. If you are going to use it in a recipe (especially for baking) that calls for whole milk you will need to make an adjustment to put the fat back in for the recipe to work right.

1 Cup whole milk = 1/4 cup powdered milk plus 7/8 cup water plus 1 Tablespoon melted butter or margarine.

If the recipe calls for skim/non-fat milk - just follow the directions on the box to make a cup of liquid milk.

Of course, if you have a recipe that calls for powdered milk you would just follow the recipe. I have a couple of bread recipes that use powdered milk as nutritional fortifiers - to increase the Vitamin D and Calcium content.

I have no problem with powdered milk as something to use in baking, but personally can't stand the taste to drink it.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:12 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
I grew up on that stuff and prefer the taste over regular milk. Around here it's simply known as 'non-fat dry milk.' It has a slightly sweeter taste (I think)than regular milk and a cup of it will cure my absurd heartburn situation immediately. Two thumbs up from me!
I can't believe that!!!
That stuff is good for whiten the coffee at work or anywhere real milk wouldn`t last long enough without getting sour...
over here in Germany it is made of vergetable ingridients, it`s not real dairy....
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #10

Good point, Michael! That makes a LOT of sense!! Thanks!!!

Tags
None