"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Raclette Cheese

I recently bought raclette cheese on sale(garlic, peppercorn and natural) I decided it was too much so froze it, no idea what it will be like, anyone know?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Master Chef

I've never tried it but here is a link for more info.

Raclette - Tips, Recipes, Serving

Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Master Chef

While I do like the taste of Raclette & it's melting qualities, I can't get that worked up about it.

And as far as all those uber-pricey & utterly ridiculous setups that get heavy advertising every fall/winter for doing your very own "Raclette Melt With All The Fixings", I just laugh & laugh.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Head Chef

I've only had the Raclette that I've bought at Trader Joe's, and OMG... I LOVE it! It's soft cheese with a line of blue mold in it and it's heavenly! (isn't it? LOL!)

I just eat it with French bread, as is. Didn't know about different flavors or melting qualities or special cooking toys.

YUMMM!

Lee
Old 09-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

I don't know what you bought at Trader Joe's, & I'm glad you enjoyed it, but it wasn't Raclette. There is no "blue" in a true Raclette. Not even just a vein running thru. So your cheese was either mislabled or perhaps a processed form? No worries - a good enjoyable cheese is a good enjoyable cheese. I love them all - no cheese snob here.

BUT - if you were going to follow one of the many recipes for melting Raclette & serving it with boiled potatoes, pickles, etc., I definitely wouldn't use a blue-veined one.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Head Chef

Right you are, Breezy!

I've bought many cheeses at TJ's, so I get them confused. The one I was referring to that I loved so much was Morbier. I also got Raclette - obviously, less memorable to me! :-)

Images and descriptions of both cheeses are in this link - they ALL are making my mouth water! Google Image Result for http://www.interfrance.com/images/franche-comte/jpgs/frmg_raclette1.jpg

Lee
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I've only had the Raclette that I've bought at Trader Joe's, and OMG... I LOVE it! It's soft cheese with a line of blue mold in it and it's heavenly! (isn't it? LOL!)

I just eat it with French bread, as is. Didn't know about different flavors or melting qualities or special cooking toys.

YUMMM!

Lee
Hi Lee,
I have one of those ridiculous things BC was referring too and I /we all enjoy using it it..The little ones love having a little tray of cheese of their own and choosing a potato, or small gerkin or some procuitto wrapped around the potato. MY toy was a gift from my husband last year and is appreciated and well used here..As to your cheese I've not see any with a blue vein, but heck if you enoyed it why not? Melting cheese having a sip of wine with family and friends is what counts..
kades
Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Master Chef

I stand here shamefaced before you Kadesma - lol!!!

Actually, I'm glad to hear that someone owns & actually uses & enjoys a Raclette melter (& all it's accoutrements). You're the first!

Although someone else must be buying them, because every fall they come out of the woodwork at the small appliance vendors, along with the Raclette at the cheese departments. I just don't have the room for an appliance that only has one purpose.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I stand here shamefaced before you Kadesma - lol!!!

Actually, I'm glad to hear that someone owns & actually uses & enjoys a Raclette melter (& all it's accoutrements). You're the first!

Although someone else must be buying them, because every fall they come out of the woodwork at the small appliance vendors, along with the Raclette at the cheese departments. I just don't have the room for an appliance that only has one purpose.
Not necessary Breezy,
My Raclette melter is used a lot and I had to pitch out some things seldom used to make room for it, but I'm so glad did..We plan to have some appies this Sunday using it.
kadesma
Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
Master Chef

So do tell - what else do you use it for besides the usual Raclette melting?

Tags
None