"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Your chances of getting salmonella from raw eggs are something in the neighborhood of 1 in 20,000! That means that, as an average egg consumer, you MIGHT encouter an egg with salmonella bacteria once in 84 years.
Try asking anyone who has gotten salmonella from a raw egg if that statistic means anything to them

Old 10-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Try asking anyone who has gotten salmonella from a raw egg if that statistic means anything to them
I would love to, except I have never known anyone who got salmonella from eating raw egg. I have never even HEARD of a CONFIRMED incident of anyone getting salmonella from eating raw egg.

Come to think of it, the only Sal Manella I have ever been acquainted with was a thrid baseman for the 1976 Mets.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Here ya go Caine.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Here is another.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Here ya go Caine.
Oh, for crying out loud! That's in the UK. They have mad cow disease there too. Is everyone, all over the world, supposed to stop eating beef because of it?

BTW, if you read the article, they said the reduction in salmonella cases was from inoculating the chickens, not cooking the eggs.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Here is another.
And THAT one is from Australia, which is practically another planet!

Show me an Okie from Muskogee who got salmonella from eating a contaminated egg!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I did read the article. I was responding to you saying you had never heard of a confirmed incident of anyone getting salmonella from egg. That article clearly shows it happens and thus you have now heard of it.

What does the fact that the article is in the UK or they have mad cow disease there have anything at all to do with the fact that people can get salmonella from uncooked eggs? I don't care if the article came from Timbuktu. That does not change the fact that you can get very sick from eating raw egg.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
I did read the article. I was responding to you saying you had never heard of a confirmed incident of anyone getting salmonella from egg. That article clearly shows it happens and thus you have now heard of it.

What does the fact that the article is in the UK or they have mad cow disease there have anything at all to do with the fact that people can get salmonella from uncooked eggs? I don't care if the article came from Timbuktu. That does not change the fact that you can get very sick from eating raw egg.
I just read both articles, and neither article confirms any incidence of salmonella being contracted by anybody from eating raw egg.

From the Brit article: We believe we are seeing a real success story here. There has been a sustained drop in human Salmonella cases since 1997. We believe that this reflects a corresponding fall in the levels of Salmonella in eggs. We now need independent scientific confirmation that the prevalence of Salmonella in eggs has indeed reduced.

From the Aussie article: Five elderly Victorians died and several others became ill after a salmonella outbreak at the Broughton Hall nursing home in Camberwell over Easter. The source of that bug remains unknown, although department officials believe it almost certainly came from food prepared in the home's kitchen. Ms Lester said there was no evidence that eggs produced in Victoria were unsafe.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Well Caine, you can think what you want. I just know that I will continue to practice what are known to be safe food handling and preparing methods. I don't if one in 20,000 eggs are bad. Like KE said, I do not want to be that one. That is enough for me. If you want to roll the dice with your own life then feel free to do so.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #20
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Just cook the egg, sugar mixture over a double boiler, like a sabayon, and then add the cheese. Makes it nice and "custardy".

Tags
None