"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 10-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #21
Executive Chef
Hmm....interesting question. I'm a stickler for food handling, holding and cooking and cooling temperatures, safe time zones, etc...

But, I will use the occasional raw egg or two if a recipe calls for it. Based on what I was taught, there is enough booze in the tiramisu to let you off the hook. I look at raw eggs like I look at sushi. Get them from a reputable dealer, use them immediately for best freshness and keep the finished product refrigerated at all times.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #22
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Caine
Show me an Okie from Muskogee who got salmonella from eating a contaminated egg!
Let me see if I understand you correctly - you want an example from a region of the country that is among areas with the lowest incidences of salmonella contaminated eggs in the country?

The most prevalent sources of salmonella contaminated eggs in the US is in the North Eastern Atlantic states ... then decreasing in frequency south down the Atlantic coast. Heck, that information has been known for so long it was in the old 1970's edition of Joy of Cooking - and mentioned by Shirley Corriher in Cookwise if I remember correctly!

Well, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) actually keeps records of reported cases {I limited my search to "salmonella in eggs" so we wouldn't be picking up other sources} if you care to read some you will also find they don't have to be totally raw. If you don't want to wade through all 1320 articles they list - at least try the first one ... Epidemiologic Notes and Reports Update: Salmonella enteritidis Infections and Grade A Shell Eggs -- United States, 1989

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by tomgreg2002 View Post
Hello folks. I am thinking about making some Tiramisu for my girlfriend but I am a bit worried about using raw eggs. Should I be? I have heard
it is better when eggs are used and I want to be a purist, but I don't
want to give her salmonella. Any thoughts..?

How about just using egg substitute instead? Problem solved.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
How about just using egg substitute instead? Problem solved.
Dang Katie - how soon we forget!!!! I do use egg substitute without ANY problem now that I think of it! I made a huge amount of Caesar salad dressing for an "older" crowd and that's exactly what I used - thanks for the reminder. It is excellent advice.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #25
Head Chef
Or, you can make it without eggs:

Cooking For Engineers - Recipe File: Simple Tiramisu

Or, use a double boiler, as mentioned:

Cooking For Engineers - Test Recipes: The Classic Tiramisu (original recipe?)
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #26
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Your chances of getting salmonella from raw eggs are something in the neighborhood of 1 in 20,000! That means that, as an average egg consumer, you MIGHT encouter an egg with salmonella bacteria once in 84 years.
Yeah, unless you have a reason to particularly fear it (compomised immune system, old, etc) I wouldn't worry about it.

qmax is offline   Reply With Quote