Real aged cheddar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're having a tasting of the 40-year-old cheddar in Milwaukee on October 6th. Coincidentally, it happens that I'm driving down to Chicago that day. It wouldn't be too far out of the way to make a side trip through Milwaukee to try some of this.

The oldest cheddar I've had was 17 year old, in Frankenmuth Mi. I also tasted the 15 year aged cheddar just moments before. I enjoyed the 15 year old cheese, but not so much the 17 year aged version. It had more of a "ripe" flavor, if you know what I mean. The 15 year aged cheese still tasted like cheddar, but with an undeniably complex flavor, and that mineral graininess that begins to develop after three years of aging.

I will be anxiously awaiting a review of the 40 year aged cheddar.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The oldest local cheese I can get in my area is 12 years old. It is dry, crumbly, buttery and sharp all at the same time.

This thread made me think of a local story that was captured in the children's book "Colonel Meacham's Giant Cheese" by Rosemary Nesbitt. Colonel Meacham made a huge cheese and sent it to Washington for Andrew Jackson to try. The cheese made its way by horse and wagon, Erie Canal etc... until it finally arrived in Washington where it was cut up and distributed to the public after being sampled by Andrew Jackson.

Back
Top Bottom