"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 10-06-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Cook

Refrigerating Boiled Eggs

Hi All. A quick question. I have searched the forum but cannot find the answer. Can any one tell me how long I can safely refrigerate hard boiled eggs. I am a bit 'over cautions' when it comes to food safety so am interested in hearing what others have to say.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Eggs

I think a week, or a little more.
I just use the "if in doubt, throw it out" rule.
If it smells or looks or tastes bad, then it is not longer good. Otherwise, it is OK, to eat.
Mel

Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #3
Cook

And make sure the shells are intact. If they're damaged, use the eggs as quickly as possible.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

And you will want to put them in a plastic bag or cover tightly. Their aroma will come out.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out this authority on the subject.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

Thanks Andy!!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
Cook

Thank you all for your suggestions and the link to the egg info centre. Eggs have always been a bit of a worry for me!
Old 10-08-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
Head Chef

Andy, I have a disconnect here.

Raw eggs are OK for weeks but once they are boiled they are only good for one week?

Cooking, of course, is a way of preserving food, it denatures the proteins and makes them less susceptible to bacterial action. Also the boiling, it would seem to me, would kill most of the bacteria there.

And if a refrigerated raw egg is OK to use for 5 weeks or so, why does cooking it reduce its shelf life?

It seems to me that if one can make thousand year old eggs by placing raw eggs in the ground merely surrounded by some tea, salt, ashes, and lime for 100 days, and then eat them, a hard boiled egg, refrigerated, should last more than one week.

Not telling anyone to keep boiled eggs longer than that, but something does not seem to add up.

Sorry, it is the middle of the night and I am feeling a bit fussy.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #9
Cook

Thanks for that auntdot! For me it is a safety issue. I would rather boil eggs as needed than leave them in the fridge too long once cooked if that increases the risk of their being spoiled. I have been told that I can be a bit precious regarding food safety - but hey, that is just me!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Andy, I have a disconnect here.

Raw eggs are OK for weeks but once they are boiled they are only good for one week?

Cooking, of course, is a way of preserving food, it denatures the proteins and makes them less susceptible to bacterial action. Also the boiling, it would seem to me, would kill most of the bacteria there.

And if a refrigerated raw egg is OK to use for 5 weeks or so, why does cooking it reduce its shelf life?

It seems to me that if one can make thousand year old eggs by placing raw eggs in the ground merely surrounded by some tea, salt, ashes, and lime for 100 days, and then eat them, a hard boiled egg, refrigerated, should last more than one week.

Not telling anyone to keep boiled eggs longer than that, but something does not seem to add up.

Sorry, it is the middle of the night and I am feeling a bit fussy.

I can't explain the science behind the answer. However, I would not reject the answer because the reason is unclear. Perhaps it has to do with the shell's being made more porous by the cooking and therefore allowing more bacteria into a cooked egg.

You have to figure the American Egg Board is out to put the best egg image forward. If they could tell you a cooked gg would last a year, they would.

Tags
None