"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
Good Morning friends!!!
Beth- my family makes a casadedde(sp) which is like a fried turnover with a filling of ricotta, sugar and citron or chocolate bits- (depending on which aunt makes them!!)My father's family is infamous for making up their own words in sicilian too!!! I am still looking for a recipe for saviatta cookies which are also called shavolette(sp) and all I keep finding is savadori which is NOT the same thing at all. ANYHOW!!!! IF you would likethe recipe I have for casadedde I would be more than happy to dig it out for you! Love and energy, Vicki
Hi Vicki,
I just saw this post of yours..I would love your recipe when you have time. My family would love this it sounds great.
kadesma

Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #62
Executive Chef

Hey Licia! Mozzarella Cheese

Licia,

You inspired me to try making mozzarella cheeses. I just made my second 2 gallon milk cheese. I have changed my attitude about the mozz's. If they turn out remotely like a mozzarella, I will be happy. The first one turned out very hard and not enough flavor. In todays cheese I added some lipase powder and more salt than the first batch. I plan to concentrate on fresh mozz's until I get better at making them. Looks like pizza again tonight.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #63
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
Licia,

You inspired me to try making mozzarella cheeses. I just made my second 2 gallon milk cheese. I have changed my attitude about the mozz's. If they turn out remotely like a mozzarella, I will be happy. The first one turned out very hard and not enough flavor. In todays cheese I added some lipase powder and more salt than the first batch. I plan to concentrate on fresh mozz's until I get better at making them. Looks like pizza again tonight.
This is exciting. You got me thinking about making my own mozza. Do you have a book, or a web recipe? It sounds like it is relatively facile, plus we eat (my wife loves cheese) a fair amount, pizzas and all.

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #64
Executive Chef

This second try at the mozz cheese, I used this technique from the New England Cheesemaking Supply website
http://www.cheesemaking.com/includes...ozz/Index.html

I added the lipase just before adding the rennet. You will find differences between the photographs and the text. Maybe they do that so you will buy their mozz kit! Let me know if you have any questions after reading over the directions. I printed them off and took them to the kitchen.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #65
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
This second try at the mozz cheese, I used this technique from the New England Cheesemaking Supply website
http://www.cheesemaking.com/includes...ozz/Index.html
That was my first cheese making book source. The other was Glen Garry Cheese Making This one would be more for the Canadian in the mid to eastern part of Canada. Importing can be a tricky business.

Thanks for this. I try to make as much of my own food as possible for several reasons:
  1. To know what I eat One really doesn't know what they put in foods these days. There is a post in the ice cream area that talks about (non-toxic) anti-freeze, that they put in commercial ice cream. Yummy!
  2. To know how to make it. If ever I need something and can't find it, well, I can make it.
  3. So it will be how I like it. I'm a very fussy eater. I like my food to taste something over and above salt, sugar and heat... That's just me...

How many people do you know that make there own mozzarella cheeses? Me, besides you and the people on this board and the author of the book you mentioned, the answer Jonny* is: "0"

* Johnny is a fictisous character who's name I have used to confuse everyone by making them think that he is real.

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 05-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Licia,

Hey that's great you are trying your hands at mozzarella!! Clearly you have a knack for cheesemaking, I am sure you will master the art pretty soon. Actually for pizza, harder mozzarella is better as it won't make the dough too oozy and soggy. Anyway I wouldn't complain having a pizza party everyday while you are studying the mozzarella making!!

And how did the round 2 come out?? Keep us update with your quest!!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #67
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Hey that's great you are trying your hands at mozzarella!! Clearly you have a knack for cheesemaking, I am sure you will master the art pretty soon. Actually for pizza, harder mozzarella is better as it won't make the dough too oozy and soggy. Anyway I wouldn't complain having a pizza party everyday while you are studying the mozzarella making!!
For me it's not so much the technique, it's the ingredients. Maybe I just don't look in the right places, but I dought they would have it in any of the giant chaine stores they have around here? But having said that I'm not sure. (rennet, lipase I think it is). I can get good milk but it is very expensive, but worth it I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
And how did the round 2 come out?? Keep us update with your quest!!
I guess your talking about the spumoni? I have formulated my raspberry recipe. I almost did it tonight, but I don't want to put stress on the process. If all is well I will do it tomorrow afternoon, that will give it plenty of time to cool so I can put in the berries and put it in the fridge overnight.

Oh ya, I got this great book on Italian baking by a woman by the name of Carol Fields. By looking at the book you would think she was Italian. I will post more on that later, or should I say earlier as it is getting latter.

I'll be in touch.

Aad Sach Sing

Old 05-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #68
Executive Chef

Round two of the mozz cheese turned out really really well, it could even pass for mozzarella cheese! And I LOVE pizza; bread machine makes the dough, home canned pizza sauce, home grown veggies, a little goat sausage and I'm in heaven. We are having company for dinner tonight, so more pizza!

Brian, I would think you would have to try a cheesemaking supply catalog or a goat catalog to find lipase and rennet. I use liquid rennet and you can only buy that in cheese making regions or through a catalog. Liquid rennet is much more economical than the tablets if you are making a lot of cheese.

Beth
Old 05-02-2006, 07:50 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Round two of the mozz cheese turned out really really well, it could even pass for mozzarella cheese! And I LOVE pizza; bread machine makes the dough, home canned pizza sauce, home grown veggies, a little goat sausage and I'm in heaven. We are having company for dinner tonight, so more pizza
You rock Beth!! I knew you could do the mozzarella in no time!!
BTW are you still making the ricotta, too? We did our pizza the other day and made extra pizza dough (try mixing about 20% of yellow soy flour if available, it helps the dough become more crispy), enough to make a double crust "pie".
We filled it with a mixture of ricotta, an egg, lightly precooked chopped asparagus(not all the way, as it would get cooked more while baking), diced ham and grated parmigiano, baked it at 180°C/350°F for about 40 minutes (or the crust became golden). That was wonderful too... another suggested recipe for your ricotta!!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #70
Executive Chef

Yeah Licia, I am making some ricotta with the whey from the mozz. I am about to post a recipe for ricotta from fresh milk. And I have some soy flour, so will definitely try that. And I also like the idea of making extra dough and keeping it in the fridge, need to slap it around a bit to keep it under control in the frig. I have the asparagus too, and I note the temp, 350 F, is a bit lower than I usually cook pizza. Thanks for the suggestions and support!!

Tags
None