"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
You're very welcome!! I specified the temp for the ricotta pie because indeed it is much lower than regular pizza temp. (which is almost like higher the better) Pizza should be cooked much more quickly but for this pie it needs to be cooked slower for the filling to settle. I hope you will enjoy it, and look forward to your official ricotta recipe! In Rome it is difficult to get a real "FRESH" milk (I mean the ones straight from a farmer collected just in the morning), but this is one thing we would love to try one day!!

Old 05-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #72
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring

Brian, I would think you would have to try a cheesemaking supply catalog or a goat catalog to find lipase and rennet. I use liquid rennet and you can only buy that in cheese making regions or through a catalog. Liquid rennet is much more economical than the tablets if you are making a lot of cheese.

Beth
Ok, I found a site that supplies “cheese making supplies”. I have pots, one twelve litter (3 gal) and one 16 litter. I have thermometers. So I need cheese cloth, Lipase and liquid rennet. Could you or someone here advise me on quantities, of these items I should get?

Or better yet, does this sound right to you. 60 ml (2 oz) rennet, 20 g (¾ oz) Lipase, Natural unbleached muslin cheesecloth Sold by the square meter (unfinished edges) m2 or 1 Piece of 14” x 14” (finished edges) I'm really lost on this last item, the cheese cloth?

Any words of encouragement will be more than welcome.

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #73
Executive Chef

[quote=BrianMorin]Ok, I found a site that supplies “cheese making supplies”. I have pots, one twelve litter (3 gal) and one 16 litter. I have thermometers. So I need cheese cloth, Lipase and liquid rennet. Could you or someone here advise me on quantities, of these items I should get?
/quote]

The two pots are good, so you can fashion a double boiler type set up.

[quote=BrianMorin]
Or better yet, does this sound right to you. 60 ml (2 oz) rennet, 20 g (¾ oz) Lipase, Natural unbleached muslin cheesecloth Sold by the square meter (unfinished edges) m2 or 1 Piece of 14” x 14” (finished edges) I'm really lost on this last item, the cheese cloth?

/quote]

Yes, the two ounces, 60 ml, of rennet is perfect, as is the 20 g of lipase. I would suggest the square meter of cheesecloth, 14x14 inches may be too small.
Good Luck
Old 05-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #74
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
[QUOTE=bethzaring]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin
Ok, I found a site that supplies “cheese making supplies”. I have pots, one twelve litter (3 gal) and one 16 litter. I have thermometers. So I need cheese cloth, Lipase and liquid rennet. Could you or someone here advise me on quantities, of these items I should get?

The two pots are good, so you can fashion a double boiler type set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin

Yes, the two ounces, 60 ml, of rennet is perfect, as is the 20 g of lipase. I would suggest the square meter of cheesecloth, 14x14 inches may be too small.
Good Luck
bethzaring:

Thanks for all of this. It make the process much easier. I have figured that it would cost me somewhere in the vicinity 18.00$ for the milk for this enterprise, unless I could find a farmer that would sell me whole (organic is best) milk, then it would cost me, maybe ⅓ of that (about 6.00$ - you wonder why the dairy cartel doesn't want us to buy directly from the farmer. For our health - of course. ) So this would have to be, either a serch for good milk or an artisanal love thing and not a regular happening. I'm into the ocassional artisanal love thing with good food. I'll get there, but I'm not sure when...

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 05-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #75
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
You're very welcome!! I specified the temp for the ricotta pie because indeed it is much lower than regular pizza temp. (which is almost like higher the better) Pizza should be cooked much more quickly but for this pie it needs to be cooked slower for the filling to settle. I hope you will enjoy it, and look forward to your official ricotta recipe!
Great looking recipe, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
In Rome it is difficult to get a real "FRESH" milk (I mean the ones straight from a farmer collected just in the morning), but this is one thing we would love to try one day!!
It is difficult for us to get fresh milk also, due to the fact that it is illegal. I find it difficult to believe that we are, supposedly, not mature enough to chose our own milk suppliers, and yet some bureaucrat sitting behind a desk can tell us how to eat.

Oh well, quella è vita!

Aad Sach Sing

Tags
None