Rinds of cheese - anything to be done with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
It seems to me, in the dark reaches of my memory, I've read about using cheese rinds for ----- er, something.

I just bought some delicious Gruyere cheese that has a large rind on it. Since the rind cost as much as the cheese :rolleyes: I was wondering if it can be used (or eaten). Doesn't look appetizing but hey------- Limburger doesn't smell appetizing but I love it.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated, especially if you've used them yourself. (Not limited to Gruyere)

Throw it in a soup.

Really? Like a homemade veg. soup? Does that mean you've done this? Does the rind 'melt' or do you dig it out and discard it? Or do you just eat it?

You can see I like details.:)

Yep it would be great in that homemade veg soup. It is also a great way to fix up a store bought soup. The rind never completely dissolves so there will be a chunk left, but it is easy to fish out. I do not eat it, but I don't see any reason you couldn't. Parm is the usual rind you will see used, but any cheese you have that you think would taste good in your soup will work, well harder cheeses at least.

GB----- thank you for more detail. Now I'm happy ---- but still look forward to other replies. (grin)

My pleasure. I am sure you will get many other replies on this one. I know many people here who love using rinds in this way.

Oh I thought of another thing. You can save a few different kinds then blend them up with a little white wine and whatever seasoning you feel like. It can make a good cheese spread for crackers.

Rachel Ray frequently extolls the virtues of cheese rinds. She freezes them, then tosses them into anything hot, like soups and pasta sauce as mentioned, stews, any sauce or savory dish.

Last edited:
bake or fry some frico (cheese crisps)--quick, easy and delish! hard cheese like parmesan, you can grate it up and use it that way. i haven't done it, but hard cheese rinds can be used to infuse your olive oil. when i buy cheese i look for pieces with the most rind, which are my favorite part. my cheese rinds rarely make it to the soup or stew pot. i snack on these tasty ends, unless they are inedible, such as the waxy ones....

Thanks to all of you who have replied! Now I see I will have more 'stuff' saved in my fridge or freezer, as if I didn't already. LOL Lots of good ideas here.

I save my Parmigiana Reggiano rinds for pasta e fagiole and Italian wedding soup. Those extremely hard rinds do not melt, but add a lot of taste to the soups.

I also throw my parmesan rinds in Minestrone or Tomato soup, and also the sauce as well. I then fish them out and eat them, they get kind of a chewy ( in a giid way) consistency.

Seems like I've missed out on using my cheese rinds while everyone else has been doing it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom