"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
A roasted red pepper sauce might be an option. And if he can't have chunky things yet then you can always smooth salsa in a blender or food processor.

On my omelets I LOVE an Asian sauce called Tonkatsu - very good and very flavorful!!! I feel sure it would work with Quiche. If a LOT of sauce has to be used then I would thin it with some sort of stock and then re-thicken it with a slurry, which, would require heating it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyoukisses View Post
I'm hosting an anniversary brunch where the husband has undergone cancer treatment in his throat leaving his saliva glands not in great working order. I've been told that most of his foods need a sauce
Sounds like it's time for a fondue party

Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyoukisses View Post
Honestly, I don't know the foods he can eat. It is my uncle, and that is the description I got from his daughter. It is sort of a surprise party, so I don't want to just ask straight out about foods he can eat.
Imho. you're going to have to ask her or someone else who knows exactly what he can and can't eat, in order to prepare a menu you are sure he will be able to eat and enjoy. It will be a really BIG surprise if he can't eat the food, and not in a good way.... Just my 5 cents....
Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Imho. you're going to have to ask her or someone else who knows exactly what he can and can't eat, in order to prepare a menu you are sure he will be able to eat and enjoy. It will be a really BIG surprise if he can't eat the food, and not in a good way.... Just my 5 cents....
I know he eats "regular" foods on a daily basis, but it makes it easier for him to have foods with sauces, simply to keep his palate moist, and provide liquid to help swallowing. I know he can eat anything as long as he has a drink to wash it down with, but, if I could make it easier for him, I would like to.

Thanks so much for all of the advice given, I think he'll really appreciate the variety and effort that has gone into making a menu that he can truly enjoy.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #15
Head Chef

If it isn't too late..

I think a classic Buerre Blanc sauce would work great.
White wine, white wine vinegar, onion, cook it down, add some butter, cream. Pour over the eggs... very tasty...

Just make sure it doesn't brown as it cooks down.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

It isn't too late, and that sounds amazing. I'll definitely add it to the list, along with some of the other suggestions I've gotten!

The brunch isn't until Sunday, so I have plenty of time to get more responses!

Thanks!!

Tags
None