"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Well beaten before the pan in order for all the white and yolk to be smooth and incorporated. A tablespoon of water if making an omelette to be even more sure it is all incorporated. A pan, just the right temp, with a bit of grease--butter or bacon grease. Swirl to begin to set and very lightly fold and fold again--scrambled light/wet/soft.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:40 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Well beaten before the pan in order for all the white and yolk to be smooth and incorporated. A tablespoon of water if making an omelette to be even more sure it is all incorporated. A pan, just the right temp, with a bit of grease--butter or bacon grease. Swirl to begin to set and very lightly fold and fold again--scrambled light/wet/soft.
Couldn't have said it better myself -- every detail flawless! I hereby officially add you to the list of people who I'd allow to make me eggs. That makes two now -- you, and my mum .

Old 12-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
I heartily agree...no blob of yoke here and blob of white there for me!!!
However this lady who showed me her method of scrambling in the pan....hers were if they had been in a blender before!.
Gotta use a fork and move very very quickly on mod. heat.
After several tries I have gotten it right only once...
Be prepared... if you try... have a cloth napkin close by...or they will float off the plate!!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I eat a LOT of scrambled eggs every morning, so the biggest factor for me is convenience. I crack all eggs into a bowl, remove any yolks I'm not using, beat with a fork until fairly uniform, pour onto a large, electric griddle, spread thin with a spatula, and start folding from there. Always remove them prior to being done!
Old 12-09-2006, 05:07 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Couldn't have said it better myself -- every detail flawless! I hereby officially add you to the list of people who I'd allow to make me eggs. That makes two now -- you, and my mum .
High praise indeed and accepted very humbly!! ;o)

I make cheese eggs and your sentiment is our DD's--"I'll only eat them if Mom makes them."

DH grew up in a home where his father made the scrambled eggs--just barely scrambled in the pan with the white and yolk all goopy. And on top of that, soft so the white was icky!! It makes him shudder to this day!!
I can do a VERY soft white in poached or soft boiled but not looking at me from a plate!!!
I just said to my DGD this week that if I had to choose one meal it would be breakfast and eggs.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
I beat mine to death in a bowl with a fork, then add them to an obscene amount of melted butter in a nonstick pan. Since I need my eggs cooked more than well-done, they spend a lot of time in that pan - lol!! Once they're set, however, I add grated cheese (cheddar or swiss usually), & enjoy them liberally topped off with whatever hot pepper sauce I have on hand.
Yum, except the the obscene amounts of butter, I like mine exactly the same way as breezy!! I'm ready to go make breakfast!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #17
Everymom

I meant to mention that my daughter requires me to put cheese in her eggs.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Old wives' tale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
If I want scrambled eggs, I scramble them in a bowl before sliding it into a hot, buttered cast iron pan...
I had an old wife tell me I should have a cast iron pan dedicated only to cooking eggs.

Has anyone else heard such a thing?

Tom
Old 12-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I have a small 7 in skillet that I use for eggs...Not cast iron however...I got it at a resturant supply...I think it is a Lincoln WearEver...it is perfect for frying or scrambling eggs....

However I do have a cast iron skillet that is 100% dedicated to cornbread. And is never washed....just wiped out....and reused...I suppose any germs are killed in the pre heating or in the cooking process...
Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #20
Master Chef

Dedicating a cast-iron pan to just eggs is something I've not heard of, although I suppose that's up to the owner/cook. I really can't figure out what the benefit would be though.

In fact, I think my cast-iron pans are all the better seasoned for being used to cook different things.

Tags
None