Scrambled eggs - slow and low or high and fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
How do you cook your scrambled eggs. Julia Child says slow and low. I learned to do it high and fast and I love it that way. I don't even mix the eggs in a bowl first. This is how I learned how to do it.

1. Butter in pan - when done sizzling and it's hot enough....
2. throw eggs in one at a time
3. mix/scramble all around, concentrating on the yellow parts first. Shake pan in a back forth motion a few times.
4. Everything is done on high heat so it's fast.
5. Toward or at the end - mix a little milk in
6. Cook another minute or so

s&p it.

Scramble eggs in bowl with 1 tablespoon of sour cream for each egg, hot buttered pan, stir, stir, fold, fold, nom, nom. Fast and fluffy!

I do mine similar to PrincessFiona60, but without the sour cream (I'll have to try that!). I want a good mix of the eggs. The wonderful fluffiness comes from a thorough mix with the milk and then cooking over a medium heat. If the eggs are already cooked or beginning to set before adding the milk, it doesn't do a thing except make your eggs soggy.

Cooking scrambled eggs is like baking... chemistry in action! :bb:

I prefer driving off most of the water vapor (stream) making my scrambled almost but not quite dry all the way through, and doing it before the outside burns. That's why I cook mine over medium heat.

Mixing raw egg with milk is what gives many foods, such as cake, that airy lift when baked or cooked in a skillet on medium.

Last edited:
I think i read some where that if you take it off the stove and add a little milk, it helps slow down the process of being overcooked from the high heat.

when i put it back on the stove, the heat is high so the little amount of milk i put in mostly evaporates into the eggs.

...when i put it back on the stove, the heat is high so the little amount of milk i put in mostly evaporates into the eggs.

If you're pouring milk into a hot skillet or a skillet over high heat, that milk's not "evaporating" into the eggs (not possible), but it is evaporating into the air, making it a total waste.

And eggs, once they've set, don't soak up hardly any liquid. That's why bakers sometimes brush the bottom of pie crusts with egg... because egg stops the crust from becoming soggy from a wet filling. Cooked egg is a water barrier.

Med high heat.
Melt a pat of butter.
Crack the eggs into the pan.
I don't even start to scramble until the whites are starting to set.
I like to have the white and yolk a little seperated.
I like to season them with McCormicks Montreal Chicken.

I like the eggs well blended and with just a little bit of water instead of any dairy. And I always cook on low heat. They come out somewhat soft and fluffy.

I cook them on high and fast. Everyone must be sitting at the table and everything else on the plates before I put the nicely whisked eggs (only additives would be salt and pepper, no liquid) in the hot pan with a small amount of oil. dump, stir until fluffy and not moist (but not dry) and serve immediately!

I just read our discussion to my co-worker and she stated this:

Lets the pan heat up (high heat) and then cracks the eggs into the pan. She uses a spoon, not a spatula, and slowly stirs them. This way there is much flavor - you get tastes of white and yellow. After it cooks on one side (like a fried egg) she flips it and lets it cooks on the other. She says the flavor is amazing.

My DH also just cracks the eggs into the pan and stirs them (with a big spatula). We each prefer our own way so we alternate on who makes the scrambled eggs in our family! :chef:

Completely scrambled white & yellow (no white slimy spots just yellow) in bowl with milk or water, s & P. butter in pan melted, add to pan and use whisk on high heat till begins to set. Lower heat and whisk till 1/2 ONLY cooked. Turn heat off and keep stirring till just set, keep moving eggs till you get to the plate and serve. FULLY COOKED IN PAN = OVERCOOKED on plate. Soft and fluffy NO BROWN!!

Medium hot pan...
Plenty of butter....
Slip two in the pan and scramble furiously....
When you think they're not quite done...plate them quickly.
At the table they will be...
Milk??? Save it for da cat........:LOL:

Adding milk makes fluffier eggs. Adding water makes more tender eggs.

I add a splash of dairy and beat the eggs with a fork. Pour into a medium hot pan and stir with a fork or spat until almost done. They'll finish cooking on the plate.

If you get water on the plate, you've cooked the eggs too long.

Completely scrambled white & yellow (no white slimy spots just yellow) in bowl with milk or water, s & P. butter in pan melted, add to pan and use whisk on high heat till begins to set. Lower heat and whisk till 1/2 ONLY cooked. Turn heat off and keep stirring till just set, keep moving eggs till you get to the plate and serve. FULLY COOKED IN PAN = OVERCOOKED on plate. Soft and fluffy NO BROWN!!
This is the closest I have seen to how I make mine. I usually cook them over medium-high, then turn it down if needed. I hate having any brown on my scrambled eggs. Like MSM, I want mine soft, fluffy, and yellow--no brown. As soon as I put them in the pan I move them gently around to make sure they cook evenly.

:)Barbara

I like mine soft scrambled. I mix the eggs well in a bowl first then pour into a hot pan that is coated with non stick spray. On medium heat I stir constantly with a silicone spatula. I like large to medium clumps of egg not small scrambled bits. That is the closest way I can explain it. I used to add a splash of milk to the eggs but no longer do that and really don't notice any difference.

I just had scrambled eggs with mushrooms for dinner, and I cooked them quickly. But I love breakfast buffets where the eggs are so moist and fluffy--I don't know if it is because they cook so many, or because they cook them low and slow, maybe over boiling water?

When I make scrambled eggs at home, I want them now--I am making them because I am too tired or too hungry to cook.

I do mine similar to PrincessFiona60, but without the sour cream (I'll have to try that!).

You'll love the flavor!!!

For a sweet treat, whisk with a tablespoon of orange juice per egg, cook plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. I use this for my french toast, but it's great scrambled, too!

I just had scrambled eggs with mushrooms for dinner, and I cooked them quickly. But I love breakfast buffets where the eggs are so moist and fluffy--I don't know if it is because they cook so many, or because they cook them low and slow, maybe over boiling water?

When I make scrambled eggs at home, I want them now--I am making them because I am too tired or too hungry to cook.

Most breakfast buffet eggs are from a powder mix.They still taste good.

Back
Top Bottom