Snip's Chakalaka Eggs on Toast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Homemade Chakalaka

1/2 a cup of sunflower or light olive oil
1 large onion chopped
2 large red or green peppers (sweet peppers not chillies)
1 tsp bbq spice
1 tsp peri peri powder
1 tbsp of curry powder
6 large tomatoes grated or finely chopped
4 large carrots peeled and grated
1 cup of sliced greenbeans
1 tsp of aromat or sea salt
1/4 cup of white grape vinegar

Warm oil in a pot, add peppers, onions, bbq spice, peri peri spice and curry powder. Fry till onions and peppers are soft.
Add carrots, tomatoes and greenbeans and mix well.
Simmer gently for 15 mins. Stir often. Add aromat or salt and vinegar and simmer for 5 mins more.
Spoon into jars and boil in a water bath for 10 mins and refridgerate once cool.
Relish will last a few months in the fridge.
Could also be served as is without canning but use within 1 week.

Chakalaka Eggs

Whisk 6 large eggs well with a splash of milk and salt and pepper.
Melt a tbsp of butter in a large pan or use olive oil. Gently scramble eggs till almost set. Stir in half a cup of chakalaka and serve on warm toast.

Last edited:
Aah Snip you are a star! I have been wanting a chakalaka recipe for ages. Thanks so much. I miss this fabulous relish. The French don't really like spicy, so chutneys, achar etc are not to be found. Wonderful to have this, thanks. I found a fab recipe for a chutney that is almost 100% Mrs Balls. I make it in huge quantities as a lot of my friends now love it.

Aah Snip you are a star! I have been wanting a chakalaka recipe for ages. Thanks so much. I miss this fabulous relish. The French don't really like spicy, so chutneys, achar etc are not to be found. Wonderful to have this, thanks. I found a fab recipe for a chutney that is almost 100% Mrs Balls. I make it in huge quantities as a lot of my friends now love it.

Only a pleasure :) You can make it with or without the vinegar. I like a bit of a tang, makes it taste a bit like veggie atchar and it last longer in the fridge.

Thanks guys :) Chakalaka is very traditional. I like adding it to eggs but we eat it as a side with meat and served with fresh bread in South Africa. It also nice mixed with cooked rice as a warm salad.

Peri-peri just means Chilli chilli in Portuguese. You could use chilli powder instead :) Didn't know you guys don't get peri peri there.
Thanks Snip, this looks so good, the warm rice salad got me. I'm a salad nut:LOL:
kades

Sounds delicious :)

We don't have peri peri, but depending on where you live, we have lots of dried or ground hot peppers available. From what I read, ground cayenne would be a good substitute.

Thanks Snip, this looks so good, the warm rice salad got me. I'm a salad nut:LOL:
kades
Hope you enjoy it :) Chakalaka is very versatile and it's a great relish to eat along side just about any protein. It's good on sandwiches, salad, pizza or anything that needs a little zip!

Sounds delicious :)

We don't have peri peri, but depending on where you live, we have lots of dried or ground hot peppers available. From what I read, ground cayenne would be a good substitute.

Any red chilli powder will work, just watch out for cayenne. Sometimes cayenne is very spicy so maybe add a bit less :)
Hope you enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom