Soft-boiled Eggs In Microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, I have tried using the rings, but I must be doing something wrong because the whites of the egg run out under the edge of the ring. For years I have uses a little single egg poacher, which is like a tiny sauce pan for the water, with a cup that sets on the top like a double boiler for the egg, and a lid. When the water boils, it "steam cooks" the egg. They also made them bigger for cooking multiple eggs. And I have one for 2 eggs in the microwave but I've never tried it. I like this boiled water-in-the-cup method the best! I like watching how quickly the whites of the egg form.

Put the shelled egg in a small container, prick the yolk with a toothpick (or anything sharp) cover and give it 30 seconds, check to see if the white is setting, if it is not give it another 15 seconds. Simple, just get the buttered soldiers ready to attack that lovely soft yolk

I have cooked "boiled" eggs successfully in the microwave, in the shell without no explosions. My method calls for wrapping each egg in aluminum foil and submerging the foil wrapped eggs completely in water. The water prevents arcing from the foil and foil keeps the m-waves from heating the inside of the egg directly. When you wrap the eggs you will probably have air pockets that will make the egg buoyant, but if you hold it under water for a moment, the water will displace the air and the egg should be able to stay submerged. It has been a long time since I did this, so I don't remember specific timing. I did preheat the water at least partway, before adding the eggs. The timing should be similar to stovetop cooking, as you are not nuking the egg, but only cooking in water.
I knew a guy who was seriously injured by an exploding microwave egg, just cooked in its shell w/o water or foil. Nearly lost his eye.

MW power levels

Amen. As well as using the variable power on your MW, everyone should know the power output rating of their oven.. This is a pet peeve of mine, especially when recipes or pkg directions are non-specific as to what wattage their "14 minutes" or whatever is correct for

Please note

I thought I was directly responding to the post about power levels.As a newbie, I did not realise that this site does not have branching response options. Or i have not yet figured them out.

Hi, y'all.

Is there any way to cook soft-boiled eggs in a microwave? I asked Mom and Cat, and they don't know. I have a microwave and a toaster in our dorm room. We can't have hot plates/burners because some idiots cooked drugs on them and they're also a fire hazard.

I know how to make them on a regular stove. They're really good with shredded-up toast and all mixed together in a bowl with salt and pepper.

Any ideas? Thanks, y'all. :)

Carl
Hi, Carl. You can't cook eggs in shell in the microwave - they'll explode. You can, however, bake them in a ramekin or a cup. A spoonful of water in the cup, break the egg into the cup, pierce the yolk with a cocktail stick or toothpick. Whizz in the m/wave for 30 secs or until the white is almost all cooked then turn off the m/wave and leave to stand a minute until the residual heat in the egg has cooked the rest of the white. You may need less or more time than 30 secs depending on the size of the egg - play it by ear (or eye in this case). It produces what at home we called a "pretend poached egg".

NB IIRC my m/wave is an 800watt model

Last edited:
I have been told that if the yolk isn't broken, the eggs can go boom.

I usually make an omelette. Whisk an egg lightly with about a teaspoon of water and nuke it for 60 seconds on high. Don't salt it before nuking. It supposedly makes the egg tough.
I know you wrote this a long time ago but yes, they can pop and splutter but you only need to pierce the yolk with a toothpick, cake testing skewer pinted knife. You don't need to totally destroy the yolk/white delineation by stirring, etc..

I know you wrote this a long time ago but yes, they can pop and splutter but you only need to pierce the yolk with a toothpick, cake testing skewer pinted knife. You don't need to totally destroy the yolk/white delineation by stirring, etc..
But then it isn't an omelette.

Back
Top Bottom