"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
59 messages, and it took to #57 message before there is any mention of microwave oven power level / setting.

sorry to be such a prig, but you folks be not all too well informed / educated / experienced about microwave ovens.

having spent way way too much time "on the road" living in extended stay / et. al. type facilities that have a kitchen consisting of a fridge, microwave and a sink - I can cook an egg poached to soft boiled to hard boiled to scrambled in any microwave of your choice given a couple days to experiment and take notes.

the "water in the cup with the egg" does one thing - it "moderates" the temperature achieved by the microwave oven. there's a setting - putting the power setting on half/ 50% does the same thing as adding a bunch of water in a cup.

if an egg "explodes" in the microwave it is simply because the water in the egg "suddenly and instantaneously" reaches the boiling point, turning to steam, steam which has a multi-thousand time volumetric existence - thus "exploding" all over the inside of the microwave.

having done more than a few eggs on the road in the microwave, I have never exploded an egg. then again, I know about the power level settings thing....
Wow, you could just have mentioned that a lower power setting works for you and maybe included the education info.

I think most of the people here are aware of the power variations in microwave ovens. At least one person has said that it took more than one try to get it right.

What does, "...multi-thousand time volumetric existence.." mean?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #62
Master Chef

Don’t you just love when some know-it-all comes and educates you about power setting of the microwave, because really none of us really knew before that such thing even exist.

How about just simply telling people your way of doing it in details instead of being rude?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #63
Master Chef

Can somebody please post the pictures of what you end up with? Maybe what I had was all I could get from the egg.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, try two things. I realize that three eggs can be a breakfast for someone, or a cake that will not get baked. It is hard to see food wasted.

Poke a hole with a fine pointed needle in the yolk. The yolk has a film over it to keep it separate from the white. The yolk will not leak out.

Also try covering the egg not more than an inch with tap water. Try cooking one egg at a time. The energy goes into cooking the egg instead of boiling the water.

The first time I did it, it came out perfect. The second time I did two eggs at a time in a bowl instead of a cup. Not that great, but edible. The third time, two eggs and way too much water. A disaster. And I didn't prick the yolk. Lesson learned. Good luck and don't give up. Keep a record of your failures so you don't repeat them and you will figure it out. It will work for you.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #65
Master Chef

Thanks Addie. I still hope somebody would post a picture here.

The only thing I did not do was pocking the yolk.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #66
Certified Pretend Chef

Charlie, I doubt anyone took pictures when they did this. Maybe someone will post a picture the next time they do this.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #67
Executive Chef

The video posted showed what the final product looked like. I haven't tried it yet but I think I would let mine go a little longer than one minute since I want my whites completely cooked. But of course, I will have to check the power level of my microwave.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I drew this on one of my iPad drawing apps (with my finger) and apologize for the crudeness, but my egg

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4235692900.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	19800

turned out fine too. The white sort of wrapped all the way around the yolk, and the yolk was nice and runny.

Not a picture, but hey, I tried!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I drew this on one of my iPad drawing apps (with my finger) and apologize for the crudeness, but my egg

Attachment 19800

turned out fine too. The white sort of wrapped all the way around the yolk, and the yolk was nice and runny.

Not a picture, but hey, I tried!

That's cute! After reading all this I had to try it. I let it go for 1:20....a little too long. I would have taken a picture for Charlie, but it would have been a picture of what not to do. It was too close to hard boiled for me, but tasted good. I used a pyrex measuring cup and it was interesting to watch it form while cooking. Hey, I don't get out much! LOL I will try it again tomorrow morning for breakfast, for a little less time. I want it to taste like the soft boiled eggs my mother made for me as a child.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I tried it for 60 seconds and mine was hard boiled. I'll try again with less time or lower power.

Tags
egg, eggs, oil