Soft-boiled Eggs In Microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, I have one Percocet left from my last surgery. I'm saving it for a very special occasion, because I know once that's gone there's no more. There have been several times that I've had pain and I look at that one pill, then put it back thinking, "No, I might have a worse day." LOL

I have a deteriorating hip and the base of my spine. If I stand or walk too long, it starts to hurt. I get a script of a ten day supply with the directions take two, three times a day. Around day nine I call in for a refill. I usually only need to take one and the pain subsides. Sometimes I may be able to go fifteen to twenty days before I call for a refill. I have always been reluctant to become reliable on pain killers. But PF has stayed on my case these past couple of years telling me that I need to take them, when I need them. I finally got the message. And this dang foot has certainly brought that home, loud and clear.

I have a refill coming today. And I do need them. Right now the Vicodin are working for me. And I am sure when the day comes that they no longer are, Winthrop will explore with me other pain meds that they can prescribe. I am no longer concerned with becoming addicted. My son Poo told me that it is very difficult to become addicted to pain killers if you really need them. And I do, unfortunately. :angel:

I have a deteriorating hip and the base of my spine. If I stand or walk too long, it starts to hurt. I get a script of a ten day supply with the directions take two, three times a day. Around day nine I call in for a refill. I usually only need to take one and the pain subsides. Sometimes I may be able to go fifteen to twenty days before I call for a refill. I have always been reluctant to become reliable on pain killers. But PF has stayed on my case these past couple of years telling me that I need to take them, when I need them. I finally got the message. And this dang foot has certainly brought that home, loud and clear.

I have a refill coming today. And I do need them. Right now the Vicodin are working for me. And I am sure when the day comes that they no longer are, Winthrop will explore with me other pain meds that they can prescribe. I am no longer concerned with becoming addicted. My son Poo told me that it is very difficult to become addicted to pain killers if you really need them. And I do, unfortunately. :angel:

That Poo is a smart kid...

H2O in micro!(yes ! 2 the video) EGGplosive alternative....

I had made scrambled eggs in the micro many times (sprayed bowl w/pa,, put in micro for 20 seconds, pour BEATEN egg in bowl, spray a small saucer with pam and place on top of bowl / pam side facing egg, micro 1 minute), so when people told me that I couldn't make a soft boiled egg in the micro, i refused to believe ! So I sprayed a bowl with pam and used my method above, after the minute was up, I didn't expect the minute to go by so quickly. so I rushed to get my toast done, pour my coffee and set my table. I lifted the dish and there sat a BEAUTIFUL soft egg, I could see the soft yolk showing thru the thin egg skin. I was so proud. "HA HA ha and phooie to all those Naysayers" (i thought)..... I just could not wait to stick my spoon in to break the yolk and watch it run and ooze out.
Big smile on my face as I slowly stuck my spoon in to savour the golden ooziness. BUT instead I hear a LOUD EXPLOSIVE BANG ..... So loud I instinctively closed my eyes. When I opened them, it took me a few seconds to gather my wits. Still facing the bowl I realized my egg was totally gone. Then I realized my face felt a little wet. WAIT did i say alittle?
I wiped my face THERE was my GOLDEN OOZINESS all over my face !
OMG as I looked around and wiped the goodness from my face I realized it was in my hair, on my eyelids, IN an EAR, on the ceiling were tiny bits of egg and yolk hanging, the light fixture, ( i had to turn the light off quickly cause it was cooking and burning on the bulb !), grandbabies toys, the windows, the ceiling fan, my shirt, as I began cleaning up I was finding bits of egg ALL over the place .... on the phone, in the OTHER ROOM on the fridge, 2 drops on the TV in the living room (holey cow ... traveled straight thru 2 serving windows) 9 feet apart and 5 more feet to the tv ! I had to shower to get all the egg off and out of me, and for DAYS I was finding bits of egg all over the downstairs. OH did I mention IN MY SHOE by the back door in the kitchen 1 day later as I slipped my foot in ... EWE ...... YOLK !! HOW The Heck ??!
Anyway, that's my eggPLOSIVE soft boiled egg story/nightmare.
LONG story short, well Too Late for THAT.... Water in cup as in that video someone posted, is a better idea for a soft boiled egg.
:blink:

Funny ? Hubby thought so !!! Then i did too !

Oh my, that's hilarious JavaMemah, though it was probably less funny at the time. :LOL:

When hubby can in to see what the noise was and I couldn't explain, just stood there with "EGG ON MY FACE" and I was thinking of THAT VERY phrase as I stood there.... I didn't have to say a word, he looked at my dish, then my face.... it was dead quiet for about 30 seconds then I just "cracked up " laughing. He was trying not to cause he didn't know how I'd react, but when I started laughing, so did he. He offered to help me clean up, but I just shook my head and laughingly motioned him to go back upstairs.
ha ha ha

I got to thinking today....are eggs cooked this way soft boiled or are they poached?

My egg this morning turned out darn near perfect. I put the water in my pyrex measuring cup and heated it in the microwave for about 40 seconds. Then I cracked the egg into the cup and microwaved it for about 45 seconds. The whites were almost the way I like them done, but the yolk was still runny, almost like mom's. So this is now my procedure to do this, but tomorrow, the second cooking with be for 50 seconds.

Since the water doesn't actually boil, you can't call them soft boiled, but you can call them soft cooked. Since they are cooked in liquid they are also poached. As long and they taste good, I don't care what they're called!

Here are the pics from this morning! I cooked 3/4 cup of water in my pyrex measuring cup for 40 seconds. I cracked the egg in and cooked another 50 seconds. Let it sit in the water for several seconds while I buttered my toast. The whites were not as runny as they look in the picture. Results would probably vary with the power of your microwave oven and the size of the egg. I really like the egg cooked this way. I will probably add a second a day to each cook time until I get the whites done as much as I can while still having the runny yolk.

Attachments

• sb egg 002.jpg
    sb egg 002.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 172
  • sb egg 003.jpg
    sb egg 003.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
There ya go Charlie! That is how mine came out the first time. One of the things I like about this method is that the eggs come out in the perfect shape that you can never achieve unless you have the rings. :angel:

Last edited:
There ya go Charlie! That is how mine came out the first time. One of the things I like about this method is that the eggs come out in the perfect shape that you can never achieve unless you have the rings. :angel:
I agree...and I think this site needs a "like" button.

Back
Top Bottom