"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 54
Soft-boiled Eggs In Microwave?

Hi, y'all.

Is there any way to cook soft-boiled eggs in a microwave? I asked Mom and Cat, and they don't know. I have a microwave and a toaster in our dorm room. We can't have hot plates/burners because some idiots cooked drugs on them and they're also a fire hazard.

I know how to make them on a regular stove. They're really good with shredded-up toast and all mixed together in a bowl with salt and pepper.

Any ideas? Thanks, y'all.

Carl

__________________

__________________
CarlSchellenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSchellenberger View Post
Hi, y'all.

Is there any way to cook soft-boiled eggs in a microwave? I asked Mom and Cat, and they don't know. I have a microwave and a toaster in our dorm room. We can't have hot plates/burners because some idiots cooked drugs on them and they're also a fire hazard.

I know how to make them on a regular stove. They're really good with shredded-up toast and all mixed together in a bowl with salt and pepper.

Any ideas? Thanks, y'all.

Carl
ATK today had a show on Eggs Florentine. They were able to make an egg with a soft cooked yolk on a bed of spinach. The same recipe could be adapted for the microwave I am sure.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,888
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have been told that if the yolk isn't broken, the eggs can go boom.

I usually make an omelette. Whisk an egg lightly with about a teaspoon of water and nuke it for 60 seconds on high. Don't salt it before nuking. It supposedly makes the egg tough.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
ATK today had a show on Eggs Florentine. They were able to make an egg with a soft cooked yolk on a bed of spinach. The same recipe could be adapted for the microwave I am sure.
What's ATK?

Carl
__________________
CarlSchellenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSchellenberger View Post

What's ATK?

Carl
America's Test Kitchen. A cooking show on PBS.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,319
Hi Carl. I too love soft boiled eggs mixed with toast.

If all you have to work with is a toaster and microwave, toast your bread first, and shred it so it will be ready.

Then, as taxlady suggested, poke your yolks , add a tsp. of water per egg, gently stir and microwave....just for 15 or 20 seconds at a time or so at most....stirring at intervals...keeping in mind that the eggs will continue to cook once you remove them from the microwave. Take the bowl of eggs out before they look about as close to soft boiled consistency as you're gonna get.....as they will continue to cook. Mix in your shredded toast, salt and pepper as you like, and enjoy. Actually pretty good that way.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Hi Carl. I too love soft boiled eggs mixed with toast.

If all you have to work with is a toaster and microwave, toast your bread first, and shred it so it will be ready.

Then, as taxlady suggested, poke your yolks , add a tsp. of water per egg, gently stir and microwave....just for 15 or 20 seconds at a time or so at most....stirring at intervals...keeping in mind that the eggs will continue to cook once you remove them from the microwave. Take the bowl of eggs out before they look about as close to soft boiled consistency as you're gonna get.....as they will continue to cook. Mix in your shredded toast, salt and pepper as you like, and enjoy. Actually pretty good that way.
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks to all of y'all. I get kinda frustrated at microwave cooking sometimes.

Carl
__________________
CarlSchellenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
A whole yolk in the microwave causes a loud explosion and requires a significant amount of time to clean the microwave's interior. Those little particles of egg get into all those tiny little holes in the walls of the microwave.

Don't ask me how I know...
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,887
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
Very clever. I'll have to try that. My thought is to drop the egg into water already in the cup so filling the cup with water doesn't disperse the white.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, eggs, oil

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.