"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-04-2006, 01:10 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissa82
i dont think im prepared to use sour cream, as im making it for a special occasion, so can anyone help me what i should combine the choc with to use as a similar topping to be set in the fridge

(the recipe only asked for the soured cream and melted dark choc)
Follow the recipe and use sour (soured depending on the origin of the recipe) cream - not heavy cream, or whipping cream, or créme fraîche unless you want to thin it out a bit with heavy cream, etc. - use what the recipe called for - sour cream!

I don't understand why you want to make "something" but do not want to use the ingredients the recipe calls for ... especially for something as standard as a sour cream frosting. There are many very elegant cakes that have a sour cream frosting (such as Red Velvet ) ... my Grandma's chocolate sheet cake had a sour cream and chocolate frosting, and so did her frosted brownies recipe.

The sour cream really adds a little "zip" and doesn't make the frosting taste "sour" at all!!!

Old 07-04-2006, 03:27 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

oh i c thanks for ur comments.

its not that i dont wanna use sour cream, i just wasnt sure whether the recipe may have meant something different as it did say "soured" (so i thought it may be something organic or etc lol) i guess i was just being too fussy with the words.

i also wasnt aware that recipes do use sour cream with sweet stuff as it does kinda sound a bit odd, esp cuz i rarely make icing

oh and to answer some of ur replys i know what sour cream is lol, we often eat it with potato wedges and sweet chilli sauce yum and yes it is also thick and the same as the usa here in aust

i'm making it for my uncle who is comin from overseas, so i wanna make a good impression, hence not wanting to make anything risky

i'll let u guys know how i went (if i am brave enough to do it)

and just to confirm the recipe calls for 125 g melted dark choc combined with 50 ml soured cream

Old 07-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Am an aussie too. We do get sour cream - not the same brands but its pretty easy to find in the supermarket fridge!

I think that the sour cream might make it a little less rich than if you used ordinary cream?! Would that be right. Just a guess

Tags
None