"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 08-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer
Oh boy not I have not been there. That you SOOOOO much for that link. I have been wanting to go to a real cheese store and get some cheeses I have never tried or heard of before and this seems like just the place! You ROCK Jenny!!!

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by mudbug
....and I just happen to have about a half dozen of those 20% off coupons BB&B sends you in the mail. (In case you didn't know, they never expire, no matter what it says on the coupons.)

thanks, geebs!
You can also use those same coupons from Bed Bath and Beyond at Linens and Things - they accept them there also.

jennyema - have you ever had cave-ripened Ementhaler? YUM!!!! I feel sure I've mentioned it but try a 3 or 4-year old Gouda - excellent!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #13
DC Grandma
Foodsaver bags can be reused. Just leave a few extra inches when cutting your bag. If you want to really keep them cleaner..wrap cheese in seran wrap or a baggie (don't seal the baggie) and then vaccum the cheese or whatever.
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:03 PM   #14
Master Chef
GB -- great stores. I stop by the one in the south end frequently on the way home and buy cheese, olives, cornichons, pates, cured meats etc. for summer din-din.

They have their own classes and also run ones at the Boston Center for adult ed

and KE, one of my fav's is aged gouda. Ate some tonite, in fact!
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:24 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
thanks, jenny, eflie, and Dove for the additional info.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Have not tried it but I read, wrap cheese in a paper towel then in tin foil and when you unwrap and use some store whats left of that cheese in a fresh wrap never use old wrapping but repeat the above.
Other than that just eat it all up not a problem for me hence a cholesterol problem.I LOVE CHEESE!
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #17
Senior Cook
You can prevent mould forming on cheese by storing it in a covered container with 1-2 lumps of sugar.

Or, you can soak a clean cloth in vinegar, squeeze out excess moisture, and wrap the cheese in it. It keeps the cheese moist, and also prevents mould forming. Also keeps the cheese from going hard. The cloth will stay moist longer if the whole package is placed inside a covered container.
daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:55 PM   #18
Executive Chef
I like that new glad wrap with the self stick surface. cheese seems to do real well with it too
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #19
Master Chef
LOL - poor Alton ... as long as he sticks with McGee and Corriher his science is fine .... and then when he goes off on these tangents of his own sometimes ....

To Breath or Not to Breath ... That seems to be the question. (sorry Will)

Unless you buy cheese cut from a fresh block, or a cheese that still has it's rind intact, it usually comes vacuum packed. Obviously cheese that is wrapped in a package that has had all of the air sucked out of it isn't going to breath much. So, that kind of blows holes in the "let it breath" theory.

Maybe it depends on the moisture content of the cheese? A dry hard "grating" cheese might be okay for a time "breathing" in wax paper while a moist cheese might just dry up and/or get covered in fuzzies? That has been my experience.

Hard dry cheeses, like Parmesan or Ramano, seem to do quite well for a long time with only minimal care. Heck, I'll grate them and toss them into a ziplock bag and they are fine for weeks! Soft moist cheeses like cheddar or mozzrella need to protected from air. FoodSaver bags are on the pricey side for cheese, IMHO - so I like the plastic (cannister) storage containers for cheese ... which can be resealed time and time again.

Anyway - those are my thoughts and experiences FYIW.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #20
Sous Chef
If you are planning to use the cheese in a cooked dish, most cheeses can be frozen.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.--unknown, at least to me
purrfectlydevine is offline   Reply With Quote