"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Substitute egg yolks for whole eggs

can egg yolks be substituted for whole eggs? if so, what is the ratio? I am looking at a recipe calling for 2 egg whites. then am going to make banana bread (double batch) and was thinking of using the left egg yolks for 1 whole egg in the banana bread.
Any thoughts on this?
Debbie

Old 05-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieP.
can egg yolks be substituted for whole eggs? if so, what is the ratio? I am looking at a recipe calling for 2 egg whites. then am going to make banana bread (double batch) and was thinking of using the left egg yolks for 1 whole egg in the banana bread.
Any thoughts on this?
Debbie
Debbie, I've used egg whites in place of whole eggs, but not the other way around. Wouldn't use yolks in place of eggs. Eggs are inexpensive enough, where I wouldn't risk a recipe (particularly making a double-batch) subbing out/eliminating parts of the egg - particularly in baking. I would stick with the recipe. I think you can freeze yolks or whites for later use.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Yes, I would use the egg yolks and just a bit of water or milk.

Equivalents: 1 whole egg = 2 egg whites (to reduce fat; may make baked goods less tender) = 2 egg yolks (in sauces, custards, and cream fillings). One egg contains about one tablespoon of egg yolk and two tablespoons of egg white.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I made a pastry cream recipe the other day. The recipe called for one whole egg or two yolks.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior Cook

It depends entirely upon what purpose the egg is playing in the recipe. If you are adding an egg and need the white for leavening or emulsifier then substituting 2 yokes will not work since the yoke does not provide those functions like the whites.

Here is a site that has put a lot of thought into using left over egg yokes or whites:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/leftovereggyolks.htm

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/leftovereggwhites.htm
Old 05-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
It depends entirely upon what purpose the egg is playing in the recipe. If you are adding an egg and need the white for leavening or emulsifier then substituting 2 yokes will not work since the yoke does not provide those functions like the whites.
Good point, Aurora. It depends on the recipe. Unless on a restricted diet, I would leave it alone. Eggs are cheap.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Just use 1/3 cup egg beaters.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Egg yolks are used in a recipe to thicken it or give it body; you'll see recipes that call for 2 whole eggs + 2 yolks, especially for custards. I would think just using the yolks would make the banana bread pretty dense and thick.

Tags
None