"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I'd use mayo instead of sour cream for baking. Maybe go with about 3/4 od a cup, instaead of the whole cup, if you have light mayo it's even better. Yougurt will completely change the recipe, I wouldn't use it.
Charlie! Yogurt will change a recipe and mayo WON"T! I know there are cake recipes using mayo, but I would not trust that this could be one of them.
REally, yogurt is a very common sub for sour cream and doesn't change the chemistry of baked goods either, as this is for.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
at least with Yougurt and or cream cheeses you`re still in the same playing field. Mayo hovever is egg and oil with an acid, No dairy in there at all.

the only time I`de ever sub yogurt or sourcream for mayo is in some dips.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #13
Head Chef

Hi Sara,

Yes my method works. It is just like making home made yogurt but instead of milk you add cream and it makes it creamy and thick like sour cream.

Also if you are in a bind I would follow candocook's method but stir in a little heavy cream into the drained yogurt. Yogurt by itself does not have as much body as sour cream does. It can be very runny when you cook or bake with it so it's best to add a little cream to it which is thicker and helps stabilize the yogurt. Again strictly my two cents worth.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Charlie! Yogurt will change a recipe and mayo WON"T! I know there are cake recipes using mayo, but I would not trust that this could be one of them.
REally, yogurt is a very common sub for sour cream and doesn't change the chemistry of baked goods either, as this is for.
It is very debatable. Maybe my wording is not exactly the best. I probably should have said the consistency of the dough, rather than recipe. As far as the end result goes, I use mayo instead of sour cream a lot, and I mean a lot, because I simply cannot use any dairy products in a lot of baking, any dairy. Some recipe can actually benefit from using mayo. It makes the dough/crust/cookie softer, also it keeps fresher longer. Yes, you have to play with quantities and yes, it doesn't always work, but believe me it works.

Now having said all of that, it's really was not my point, as I assumed, since there is no sour cream or buttermilk available in the store, they probably do not have yogurt either. Maybe I was wrong about that.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
Thanks YT2095,Candocook,Allenok,yakuta and charlieD for your suggestions.....
You are welcome!

Sarah, I still don’t know where you are. Do you mind telling us/me where you live, and why certain products are not available? I am just wondering because where I live there are also problem with many products readily available in other places, so I know how it is to deal with that kind of problem.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
You are welcome.

Sarah, I still donít know where you are. Do you mind telling us/me where you live, and why certain products are not available? I am just wondering because where I live there are also problem with many products readily available in other places, so I know how it is to deal with that kind of problem.
sure charlieD!i'm a Pakistani,used to live in states,but have been back home for a year now.and we do have yogurt and cream abundantly available everywhere in pakistan.Infact theres a lot of variety of these two,since they r used in everyday eating,specially yogurt is the basis for a lot of recipes that r very commonly used here,you'll see yogurt in almost every household's refrigerator.buttermilk IS made by ppl here as well,but not commercially.ppl just make it at home,specially in villages.baking is not a very common form of food preparation in pakistan,most ppl dont bake at home usually,though we do have bakeries in every nook and corner,and very good baked products r available,but its just not commonly done in homes.And most of our baking is influenced by britain,even the temps and quantities used r of British scales.so some ingredients that r so readily available in US may not be very easily found here.hope i made myself clear.
may i ask where you live?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
Master Chef

Yes, perfectly clear.

I live in Minnesota, the reason there are no products/foods I need, or would like to have is because I keep Kosher. There is only one little store that caters to our comunity. Used to cater for all the meat needs for Muslim comunity too, but recently first Halal (sp?) store opened in town.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I`ll bet he says Minnesota in the USA!
mark my words

DOH! he beat me too it, Mods, feel free to delete this now, my Psychic powers are running a bit late *sigh*

Old 03-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
I`ll bet he says Minnesota in the USA!
mark my words

You are a profit, how did you guess?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #20
Executive Chef

hard to say, I was just gazing blankly at your Post and suddenly it just popped into my head that you Location was there, Spooky eh! ;)

Closed Thread

Tags
None