"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
Head Chef

Substitute for sour cream

i'm planning to make banana bars today.and the recipe calls for 1 cup of sour cream.We dont have sour cream here.i know that u can make it by mixing buttermilk with a little butter,but dont have buttermilk either .can i use plain yogurt instead or maybe just plain heavy cream? does anyone know?

Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
perhaps a plain yogurt and mascapone cheese mixed would be close, in flave and texture.

it`s only a guess though :)

Old 03-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Substitutes for one cup: Blend one cup cottage cheese plus two or three tablespoons milk or buttermilk plus two tablespoons lemon juice OR blend equal parts cottage cheese and plain yogurt OR blend one cup cottage cheese plus one-third of a cup buttermilk plus one tablespoon lemon juice. OR blend one cup cottage cheese plus two tablespoons lemon juice plus two tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise plus one-fourth cup nonfat buttermilk (adapted from a recipe in the New Laurel's Kitchen Cookbook) OR Combine 7/8 cup buttermilk or yogurt plus three tablespoons butter or margarine OR one cup buttermilk OR one cup well-drained yogurt (if making cheesecake, use whole milk yogurt) OR one cup sour milk OR let stand for 5 minutes: one cup evaporated milk plus one tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar OR jocoque OR smetana (lower calories)
Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Head Chef

thanks a lot candocook!u know the easiest solution for me right now will be yogurt.you said well drained plain yogurt can be used,right?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Yup, drained.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Do you have Creme Friache there? That's a really good substitute for Sour Cream.

You can make Creme Fraiche by adding 1 - 2 T of buttermilk to 1 c of heavy cream. Cover with cheesecloth, and allow to sit out at room temperature for 48 hours. Stir, and refrigerate. Use as needed.

I know you said you don't have buttermilk either. Possibly 1 - 2 T of live yogurt culture will work as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Head Chef

Hi Sarah, hope things are well on your end.

When you are not in such a bind you can make sour cream from heavy cream and buttermilk or plain yogurt and it will stay in the refrigerator for a week or more.

Use about 2-3 cups of heavy cream (I believe that's available there)
Add 1/4 cup of buttermilk to it (although the buttermilk there is not as thick but is quite runny so I would substitute just plain yogurt)

Bring the heavy cream to a rolling boil. Then shut it and allow it to come to a lukewarm temperature. Stir in room temperature yogurt (remove it from the refrigerator couple of hours ahead of making this so it's at room temperature). Slowly stir in the yogurt into the lukewarm cream. Let it sit covered in a warm spot overnight (do this late evening) and then in the morning refrigerate it and in a few hours you should have a nice consistency sour cream.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
Master Chef

I'd use mayo instead of sour cream for baking. Maybe go with about 3/4 od a cup, instaead of the whole cup, if you have light mayo it's even better. Yougurt will completely change the recipe, I wouldn't use it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
Master Chef

Also there is a recipe for vegetarian substitude for sour cream: Vegetarian chef that happens to be an omnivore
Old 03-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #10
Head Chef

Thanks YT2095,Candocook,Allenok,yakuta and charlieD for your suggestions.I've saved them and will try and see which one works best for me.unfortunately we dont have sour cream and buttermilk available in stores here.so people just use substitutes or make their own if they want to cook with these two.
Yakuta! your recipe seems so good and easy too.Does it really taste like the real thing?i'm planning to make it tonight.i love sour cream with everyday meals too.

Tags
None