"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #31
Master Chef

I think the fruit for breakfast idea originated in England and came to America in the form of apple and mince pie. It took a few years to get started because they had to bring the initial stock from England and wait several years until the trees were big enough to bear fruit. In any case it is a tasty tradition!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Taxy , great photo thank you , I thought home fries were chips , but they are what we would probably refer to as sautéed potatoes . And there's that fruit combo thing again aargh :-) . Each to their own it all looks good .
Not my photo. I found it on the by Googling.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I think the fruit for breakfast idea originated in England and came to America in the form of apple and mince pie. It took a few years to get started because they had to bring the initial stock from England and wait several years until the trees were big enough to bear fruit. In any case it is a tasty tradition!

Wasn't it Johnny Appleseed who started that? Can't remember his real name.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
Wasn't it Johnny Appleseed who started that? Can't remember his real name.
John Chapman, Johnny Appleseed, did not start planting apple orchards on the frontier until about 1792. The English settlement of Jamestown, founded 1607, was where apple growing in America began. The small sour apples were used primarily to make hard cider. Who wouldn't need a drink, to live under those primitive conditions half a world away from home!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
John Chapman, Johnny Appleseed, did not start planting apple orchards on the frontier until about 1792. The English settlement of Jamestown, founded 1607, was where apple growing in America began. The small sour apples were used primarily to make hard cider. Who wouldn't need a drink, to live under those primitive conditions half a world away from home!
Unfortunately Jamestown was a bust. When the ship returned a year later with fresh supplies everyone had disappeared. They never found out what happened to them. But the tree grew.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Unfortunately Jamestown was a bust. When the ship returned a year later with fresh supplies everyone had disappeared. They never found out what happened to them. But the tree grew.
I thought Roanoke was the lost colony.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I thought Roanoke was the lost colony.
Roanoke was the lost colony, all they found were a few bones and the word CROATOAN carved on a tree.

Jamestown almost went under. A supply ship arrived just in time and the settlement continued for another 100 years or so.

Mystery at Roanoke Video - Jamestown Colony - HISTORY.com

I'm not sure if they had taters and eggs etc...
Old 04-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #38
Head Chef

I don't have fruit juice with breakfast I simply must have a cup of tea .

I like fresh fruit mixed with some gluten free cereal , gf muesli or greek yogurt .
Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Roanoke was the lost colony, all they found were a few bones and the word CROATOAN carved on a tree.

Jamestown almost went under. A supply ship arrived just in time and the settlement continued for another 100 years or so.

Mystery at Roanoke Video - Jamestown Colony - HISTORY.com

I'm not sure if they had taters and eggs etc...
M boo boo. If the settlers on Roanoke Island had taters and eggs, they would have succeeded.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:01 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...It is a common habit here in the States to have a complete breakfast. Protein, Carbs, and Fruit to start your day...
Addie, that's not "common" anymore. Most people I know consider that a special Saturday/Sunday brunch thing every once in a while. Most people just grab a cup o' Joe or tea, something they can hold in the other hand, and go. Even though I'm home for breakfast every day, I'm completely satisfied with a bowl of oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts, or a tub of Green yogurt with fresh berries. Those full breakfasts have gone the way of the 10 cent cup of coffee.

Tags
egg, recipe

Tater & egg etc. From start to finish. A left over baked potato. Bacon, ham , onion, jalapeno pepper, cheese, S&P. 1, hollowed out baked potato.[IMG]http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/Joe_Grisafe/egg%20001_zpswax5isem.jpg[/IMG] 2, Blanch bacon, cut / chop remaining ingredients. [IMG]http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/Joe_Grisafe/egg%20003_zpsbxhcrvta.jpg[/IMG] 3, load potato and bake @ 325 till egg is set. [IMG]http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/Joe_Grisafe/egg%20005_zpsr5bdmyps.jpg[/IMG] 4, enjoy [IMG]http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/Joe_Grisafe/egg%20006_zpsk7jloh7e.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews