Tater & egg etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, that's not "common" anymore. Most people I know consider that a special Saturday/Sunday brunch thing every once in a while. Most people just grab a cup o' Joe or tea, something they can hold in the other hand, and go. Even though I'm home for breakfast every day, I'm completely satisfied with a bowl of oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts, or a tub of Green yogurt with fresh berries. Those full breakfasts have gone the way of the 10 cent cup of coffee.

CG, just a couple of blocks from where I live is a restaurant called, "Donna's Breakfast." Every morning they have a full house from five a.m. to 11 a.m. She does a big business. And it is the only item she serves. Just breakfast. She closes after 11 a.m. Most of her customers are blue collar. And they are good tippers. She has one heck of a business. :angel:

Some people like to have breakfast on the way to work and have the egg, bacon or sausage, toast, home fries brekky at a resto. Around here, there is usually a special on that before 09h or 10h. When I was working in a friend's office downtown, that's what Stirling and I would do on the way to work.

If I was going to work outside, had a construction job, manufacturing job, etc. I would want a full breakfast with bacon, eggs, toast, hash browns and fruit. But, since i work in an office and spend about 4 hours with patients, I don't need the full blown breakfast. Typically, I have coffee, egg and a serving of veg for breakfast.

I see businesses offering "all day breakfasts " , but for people in general , at home, maybe it's not so common , as an every day thing ?

Probably not. Specially if the household has both parents working. Getting the kids dressed, parents dressed and everyone fed can lead to some very hectic mornings. :angel:

We sometimes have a full breakfast for dinner, and really enjoy doing that.

For what it's worth, I don't think a daily big breakfast in the morning is common anymore either. Then again, it depends on a lifestyle like farmers who start their day at day break, and then eat a "farmers breakfast" when the early morning chores are done. My mom was a farmers wife, and I remember her stories of cooking breakfast for all the farm workers after she helped to milk the cows. :(

My mum spent a summer working on a farm. She told stories of cooking porridge for the farm hands' first breakfast and a huge "farmer's breakfast" for second breakfast.

Go to any 7-Eleven in the morning and you will see lines of people buying candy bars, chips and soda for breakfast. Or any diner and you'll see people eating a full traditional breakfast. Or any drive-thru, where people get breakfast sandwiches.

I think the traditional breakfast is much less common than it was when more people did more physical work and fewer women worked outside the home. For most people, breakfast is grab 'n go.

I think the fruit for breakfast idea originated in England and came to America in the form of apple and mince pie. It took a few years to get started because they had to bring the initial stock from England and wait several years until the trees were big enough to bear fruit. In any case it is a tasty tradition! :yum:

I think it's much older than that. When I was in Turkey, my favorite breakfast, which is traditional there, was plain yogurt with honey, dried fruit and nuts.

Breakfast is my big meal most days. I don't eat bread, so no toast, but I do eat grains, greens, eggs, and fruit (tomato, avocado, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, watermelon, citrus). I grew up eating fruit with breakfast--whether it was a bowl of Cheerios with sliced banana or strawberries / blueberries with cream and sugar.

I switched up how I eat 3 years ago. I put on a pair of summer slacks yesterday--no winter weight gain her. My breakfast keeps me charged for the rest of the day. I often have lentils, chickpeas, or black beans as a side topped with one of my favorite hot sauces. Breakfast is an easy meal to prepare, not a lot of clean up or prep. My breakfast this morning was leftover Chinese-style duck, an egg, steamed Dragon Kale, some wild rice and a whole cantaloupe drizzled with Harissa EVOO and dark chocolate white balsamic vinegar. It was delicious. The rest of the day I don't eat a lot--maybe some yogurt for lunch with another serving of fruit/veggies. Dinner is usually a salad unless I'm having guests or have been playing in the kitchen testing a recipe. I eat vegetarian 3-4 days a week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom