"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The thing about cheese is that it's a lot like wine. What I can get in my store is not necessarily what you can get in yours.
And like wine, it isn't what's costly or what "anyone who's anyone, dahling" is eating. It's what you like. And, again like wine, you make better guesses at what you might like when you have some basic knowledge of how they are made and what makes them what they are. And I guess the third thing in common with wine is that no one knows them all. No matter what you know or how many books you've read, you can always be delightfully surprised..

Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
And like wine, it isn't what's costly or what "anyone who's anyone, dahling" is eating. It's what you like. And, again like wine, you make better guesses at what you might like when you have some basic knowledge of how they are made and what makes them what they are. And I guess the third thing in common with wine is that no one knows them all. No matter what you know or how many books you've read, you can always be delightfully surprised..
Well said GLC! Thank you!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Nice idea, I'll have to try that.
It's all good.
Cream cheese is fairly mild so it is a great medium to start with and add whatever you like. careful with fresh stuff like vegetables(onions, peppers, etc.), 'cus they can render their water and you end up with with wet cheese
Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Cream cheese is fairly mild so it is a great medium to start with and add whatever you like. careful with fresh stuff like vegetables(onions, peppers, etc.), 'cus they can render their water and you end up with with wet cheese
I did make a nice pepper and onion cheese spread with cream cheese colby and cheddar.......I fried the peppers and onions......which dried them out a bit first. Here is the thread.
Pimento Cheese
Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 AM   #25
Executive Chef

For me cheese is a never ending journey on my travels I have only found 2 that I did not like, the Sardinian one with maggots and the brown sweet Scandinavian one.
My latest hit is Kaymak, I watched my wife Aunt make it, she brings a big pot of raw milk from her mothers cows to a simmer then leaves it simmering for two hours, she takes it off the heat and skims the thick clotted cream of the top into a bowl, this is repeated till no more solids rise. The kaymak is then left to develop a slight sour tang then a bit of salt is added. They blob it on burgers, chicken soup, fold smoked trout into it. I made some scones, found some wild strawberry jam, split the scones spread with kaymak add a blob of jam, they looked at me like I was a loon then tried it.

Ps the left over "milk" is fed to her mums pigs they taste sweet too.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

a crust of bread, a piece of cheese, a bottle of wine. that's all you need sometimes.

i've always been a big fan of cheddar. from mild and creamy, to mouth puckering sharp, crystallized, and crumbly.

my dad is to blame for my love of cheese. he used to love sharp cheddar on a whole wheat cracker, a dollop of brown mustard, and chopped raw onion. cheese was one of the few things he splurged on.

it's a great snack with a cold beer.

another fave is a small brie round baked just enough to goo-ify the insides, then serve it on a pool of raspberry jam. when you slice into the rind, the cheese should be soft enough to scoop out onto a water cracker with a bit of jam. sort of a brie raclette.

oh man i need cheese!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
msmofet, like with all of your meal photos, you just made me hungry! What a fabulous plate of food!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
+1, Timothy. How beautiful that plate is.

And, Timothy, I know this is not exactly responsive to your question, but I read a while back that the shredded "bag cheese" has had cellulose added so it doesn't stick together and that we should always grate any cheeses from blocks for better flavor.

My step-daughter, who lived in Netherlands, loves the aged Gouda (she says it's pronounced "how-dah").
Thank you. We are going to have a cheese plate REAL soon now!! LOL
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Here's the Pimento Cheese link, Timothy:

Pimento Cheese

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Here's the Pimento Cheese link, Timothy:

Pimento Cheese
Thank you, Zhizara! Wow! I took a little side trip with that link. I'll be making some of that very soon! This thread is working nicely. I love cheese, but have never really known very much about cheeses. This is becoming quite an educational experience for me.

Thank you to you all!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

At the deli ask for a taste of any cheese. They will give you a slice, hold it on your hand until your body heat warms it a bit. Smell it, cold and warm. Then taste a small piece, roll it on your tongue. Most cheese should be eaten at room temperature. This taste test will let you see how it tastes slightly warm and if you even like it.

I'm a cheese pig...

Tags
cheese