"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath

Sadly, Banana Brain, I'm in the same boat. I swear I like white cheddar better too. Maybe that's because turkey just looks better when paired with a paler cheese. I'm going to pretend there's a real difference. Wanna join me?
Yes. White cheddar is better (hehe, rhyme) when you trick your mind.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Since I like cheese of every conceivable sort, I'm going to do a "blind test" and see if I can tell.
Awesome. Please post back with the results when you do.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I'm partial to white extra sharp cheddar by cracker barrel, the orange sharp is not the same at all. The white is much drier, the orange is rubbery (more milk I guess?)
Old 07-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I'm partial to white extra sharp cheddar by cracker barrel, the orange sharp is not the same at all. The white is much drier, the orange is rubbery (more milk I guess?)
Isn't cheese nothing BUT milk and salt? You said you had the white extra sharp and you only referred to the orange as "sharp", so I'm thinking they were aged for different amounts of time.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #15
Senior Cook

In my vast experience as a cheese girl at a specialty grocery store (where I was "sadly" required to taste every cheese before cutting and wrapping it), white cheddar often is drier than yellow cheddar. I don't know why that is...perhaps the additives that give yellow cheddar the color do a number on the texture.

But I doubt the taste difference is a result of the color psyching out your brain.

In my experience (we did MANY cheddar tastings at the store), it takes a really fine, aged, extra-sharp yellow cheddar to compare in taste, but more in texture, to a middle-of-the-road white sharp cheddar (Black Diamond, a Canadian company, makes exquisite sharp white cheddar....and try their Reserve for an even sharper, decadent flavor! Cabot Farms also makes a fairly nice one.).

Oh my, this HAS taken me back to the days...(I had that marvelous job from age 16-19...and I am now 22 and missing it. Too bad it didn't pay better!)
Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

The difficulty in comparing a white to a yellow cheddar is making sure they are both the same exact cheese except for the coloring. I'm guessing that's hard to do.

For example, using unmuzzleme's example, can you get a Black Diamond Reserve in both yellow and in white (both the same age) to do a valid taste test? Just going to a store and buying a yellow cheddar and a white cheddar and comparing isn't a proper comparison.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #17
Head Chef

Coming from cheese country, I can tell you that all cheddar is white at "birth". After the curd is separated, they add the coloring to make yellow cheddar then pack it into bricks or wheels and let it age. Many local cheese houses leave a certain amount white, pack it and sell it as "Farmer's Cheese" since long ago, when farmers made their own cheeses using their unused cream, they left it white.

As far as the creaminess, it's the milk fat that is in the milk they are using. I like the Tillamook cheese in Oregon but it is certainly drier than the Wisconsin cheeses I buy here (comparing same sharpness and aged'ness). I'll tell you, the California cows may be happier but their milk is leanier. The milk that is produced here in WI is heavier with cream and thus makes creamier cheese. Even really well aged sharp is creamier.

It's funny this topic came up ... I am taking my SIL and 2 nieces to see cheese made tomorrow morning. I'll take copius notes and let you know ...
Old 07-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #18
Master Chef

It depends on what quality of "cheddar" you're talking about.

If you're talking about a true well-aged imported English or artisinal American Cheddar vs. the rubbery blocks you buy at the supermarket, then you're comparing apples & oranges.

True well-aged cheddars, particularly the imported ones, can be quite yellow to a pale yellow-orange in color without any additives. The majority of the others do have coloring added - albeit normally a natural one such as Achiote, which is virtually flavorless.

Achiote coloring is used in a number of South American dishes. It is also used to color many commercial varieties of "yellow rice" in lieu of Saffron or Tumeric - both of which have definite flavors.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #19
Hospitality Queen

Anyone ever try the English Aged White Cheddar from Trader Joe's?
It's my favorite.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
For example, using unmuzzleme's example, can you get a Black Diamond Reserve in both yellow and in white (both the same age) to do a valid taste test? Just going to a store and buying a yellow cheddar and a white cheddar and comparing isn't a proper comparison.
I agree. And Black Diamond, to my knowledge, does not make a yellow cheddar at all.

I believe you can get the Cabot in both Yellow and White, though my taste buds can't recall the difference, if there was any. I've compared Publix store brand block cheddars, however...white and yellow, both sharp. The white tastes a bit sharper, and has a slightly drier texture.

Tags
None