"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Anyone ever try the English Aged White Cheddar from Trader Joe's?
It's my favorite.
I'm so excited that a Trader Joe's is opening near me! My sister tells me great things about it...I'll have to check out that cheddar!

Thanks for the tip,
Carly

Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
We sampled lots of these cheeses while visiting The Cheese Shop in VA. This link might give you more info http://www.cheeseshopcarmel.com/chee...lly/alpha1.htm

Old 07-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #23
Executive Chef

There is a difference, other than color. Check this out:

http://www.ilovecheese.com/typesof_cheese.asp
Old 07-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #24
Master Chef

I don't understand Mish - that site just sends you to a page with some Cheddar recipes. What exactly is the difference besides color?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
I don't understand Mish - that site just sends you to a page with some Cheddar recipes. What exactly is the difference besides color?
Here ya go, Breezy:

http://www.ilovecheese.com/cheese_pr...Cheese=Cheddar

I clicked on C for Cheddar, not the recipes.

The difference is taste, texture, color and melting. Aged cheeses will have a different taste as well. If you're using cheese to dump in a mac 'n cheese casserole, I imagine the color does not matter as much as the taste & how it works with the rest of the ingredients in the recipe. If you're buying the shredded stuff in a bag, yes there is a difference in taste and the crap that's added in. Just read the label.

I find white has a nuttier flavor, & orange pj's can range from mild to sharp. In short - there is a difference in flavor. And, please, don't buy that processed stuff. Who knows what color it started out with. I pay a lot of $ for good cheese at a deli counter, freshly sliced, & know what I'm getting.

Another example - mozzarella - you can buy fresh (the best), or that plastic stuff in a ball. They're both white, but miles apart in taste.

BTW, if you're making a mac n cheese casserole, try Gruyere and add some spinach.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #26
Master Chef

[quote=mish]Here ya go, Breezy:

http://www.ilovecheese.com/cheese_pr...Cheese=Cheddar

I clicked on C for Cheddar, not the recipes.

There is a difference in taste, texture, color and melting.
quote]

Between white "cheddar" and cheddar colored orange?

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that aging changes the taste and texture of cheese. But merely coloring it with annato or other food coloring really doesn't, IMO.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #27
Master Chef

Thanks Mish - but it's really still just a few recipes & a remark that Cheddar can range from white to orange, which we already know. Where does it say that there's a difference between the white & the orange - apart from the aging factor which, again, we already know. Not being snarky here - perhaps I'm just missing something.

I fully realize that true Cheddars will differ in taste & texture according to aging. The original question was why White Cheddar differs in taste/texture from Yellow Cheddar, as well as the comment that Yellow Cheddars all have added food colorings.

While I'd like to say it's just the aging process, I've also had some wonderful artisinal "white" cheddars that could equal their uncolored artisinal yellow counterparts.

I believe the answer to this question is that it's truly up to the artisinal cheesemaker & the aging process. Unless you're talking about processed supermarket cheddar.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I like white cheddar better than yellow also, but it is usually a much better quality cheese also. Think Vermont cheddar vs. Kraft.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
I like white cheddar better than yellow also, but it is usually a much better quality cheese also. Think Vermont cheddar vs. Kraft.

But Kraft makes lots of white cheddar and Cabot (Vermont) makes some yellow/orange stuff In addition to some great high-end cheeses).

Though most good quality cheddar is white or pale yellow/gold, IMO being white is not itself an indicia of quality. Who makes it and how it is made is.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

You can buy poor quality white and excellent yellow.

You can get great white and awful yellow.

Bottom line appears to be that you cannot judge a cheddar by its color.

Tags
None