"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-13-2006, 03:37 AM   #51
Head Chef

Wow - another cheddar question that would have my neighbours here in Somerset, county of the original Cheddar cheese, screaming!

Real Cheddar does in deed age to different shades of "cream", varying from quite pale to a sort of sunny colour. That yellow stuff is not real cheddar!!!! In UK we have a cheese of relatively similar taste and a more rubbery consistancy that seems closer to what you guys call "yellow cheddar" but its called Red Leicester. It is similarly abused by mass production and I am told that around Leicester its taste is as revelationary as real cheddar (which is more widely available because real cheddar is available on most supermarket shelves in UK and increasingly exported.) One of the things I really enjoy doing for US, French and Italian visitors is giving them (UK sourced) cheese platters at a meal and watching reactions. US visitors are blown away by the taste of the hard cheeses, but in general are more reluctant to taste the soft cheese. A guest told me last year that the hard, mild goats cheese was more like the taste of his supermarket cheddar! The french and Irtalians never think the cheese will be very good but always like a few of them, admittedly they never fall in love with real cheddar, but they often like it a little more. The Italians often like it a lot.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
When I lived in Oregon and my Wisconsin supply would run out (about mid-March), Tillamook was the next best thing. HOWEVER - about half of their cheese is packaged here in Wisconsin, about 20 miles from my house. Like many other cheese makers, they ship their blocks to Marathon Cheese and it is cut and packaged. As far as their ice-cream, it's alright. They have to add extra cream because, like their cheese, it would be drier than midwest ice-cream due to the lower milk fat content.

I agree that it's all in the eye of the beholder ... we grew up eating local cheeses and loved / love them all. I've traveled all over Europe and had some fabulous cheeses there as well but none (IMHO) as good as here at home.

Also, just because I'm full of fun facts today, Colby Cheese originated in the town of Colby Wisconsin, 2 miles from my home. I actually had a man argue with me at a deli counter about that one.
How true indeed. Nothing tastes better than home, no matter where your from. Unless you were born in say, a McDonald's resturaunt.

You got in an argument at the counter? Hehe. Thats funny. I don't know if this is just me, but I think people get in fights about cheese more than any other food. I'm always hearing about cheese fights, and its usually about something territory-based.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Wow - another cheddar question that would have my neighbours here in Somerset, county of the original Cheddar cheese, screaming!

Real Cheddar does in deed age to different shades of "cream", varying from quite pale to a sort of sunny colour. That yellow stuff is not real cheddar!!!! In UK we have a cheese of relatively similar taste and a more rubbery consistancy that seems closer to what you guys call "yellow cheddar" but its called Red Leicester. It is similarly abused by mass production and I am told that around Leicester its taste is as revelationary as real cheddar (which is more widely available because real cheddar is available on most supermarket shelves in UK and increasingly exported.) One of the things I really enjoy doing for US, French and Italian visitors is giving them (UK sourced) cheese platters at a meal and watching reactions. US visitors are blown away by the taste of the hard cheeses, but in general are more reluctant to taste the soft cheese. A guest told me last year that the hard, mild goats cheese was more like the taste of his supermarket cheddar! The french and Irtalians never think the cheese will be very good but always like a few of them, admittedly they never fall in love with real cheddar, but they often like it a little more. The Italians often like it a lot.
Do you work at a cheese-tasting thing or something? Or do your friends?
I wouldn't really be suprized if the French visitors pretended not to like it as much as they did. I remember my French uncle one time suddenly yelling at his wife (my aunt) when she was talking about this English cheese she'd picked up and how great English cheddar or some type of cheese was. He started yelling, "No! They do have good cheese, it cannot be good cheese..."
Pretty funny. That was the cheese fight I was mostly referring to in my last post. And... yeah. Just thought I'd share.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #54
Master Chef

Recall that "real cheddar" is any cheese made using the cheddaring process and can vary widely in taste and texture.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #55
Master Chef

Ok, we all know that Cheddar cheese is made using a cheddaring process. But what is this cheddaring process? And what makes cheddar different than colby. They have similar texture and flavor, but are distinct in they're own way.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #56
Master Chef

Wow! I just looked up Cheddar Cheese in Wikipedia. The information seems very accurate and complete. And my above statement about colby being very similar to cheddar, well that would be becasue it is a form of cheddar cheese.

Cheddar process: After heating the curd, it is cut into small cubes to aid in draining the whey while the cheese is aged or cured.

And there is so much more info. I recommend the site as a reference to obtain quick and accurate information on many food related topics.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #57
Head Chef

Banana Brain...no my job is not related to cheese, but we entertain a HUGE amount, and have people dropping in from round the world to visit on a frighteningly frequently basis (one of the reasons we are moving to Milan for a year is because we are trying to shake off some of the regular free loaders, LOL). I am also passionate about food, and more so local food. All round the word people make great sparkling white wine, which although it IS similar or the same as Champagne is not aloud to bear that name. It is my feeling that Cheddar should fall into the same catagory, although I do agree there are wonderful wonderful cheddar (type) cheese made other places. Its not just local economy I think benefits its taste. I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE gumbo, and yet, eat it here in Southern UK even with really good ingrediants and its always disappointing. And paella. There is a great Spanish restaurant in a market we go to a lot in London where people say its the best paella.....outside Spain! Whilst I don't stop eating "foreign foods" outside there area, how could I be such a food bigot!, I DO like to remember where they are originally from.

Somerset cheddars come in a huge range, mild and sometimes coloured for the mass market, faux aged for the same, or true amazing cheddars that the dairies don't even sell in the next county. To get REALLY great cheddars you have to know the dairy farmers with their own dairies still.

Now, don't get me started on Somerset Brie, THAT is a real travesty!

Good weed, Wikipedia IS great isn't it? I used to "google" people I knew I was going to meet, now I Wiki them too or instead! Its wildly inaccurate (flattering) to certain salubrius people I know too well, though, so I take a lot of it with a pinch of salt!
Old 07-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #58
Sous Chef

Why not ask the experts in Cheddar, Somerset? I'm sure they'll be able to clear up the difference!
http://www.cheddargorgecheeseco.co.uk/index.php
Old 07-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #59
Executive Chef

The taste of cheese is very personal to most of us. I enjoy various types of cheese and it doesn't matter to me who says what is best, I still go with my own tastes. There aren't many I don't like but some more than others.

Tags
None