"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-08-2006, 02:17 AM   #1
Sous Chef

The difference between yellow cheddar and white cheddar

Its the color. Thats it. Read this, fourth paragraph, "White vs. Yellow". http://gremolata.com/andyshay04.htm My whole life is a lie. No, I'm just really shocked is all. I swear I can taste the difference when I buy "white cheddar" cheese products that are constantly hitting the shelves these days. But now that I've just looked up the ingredients of some products I like that come in both "cheddar" and "white cheddar", like Annie's Organic maceroni and cheese, I'm finding that the only difference in the ingredients of the "cheddar" is beta carotene. And according to the dictionary, beta caratone is just orange food dye. I know that on some "white cheddar" products, like rice cakes, I've found that the ingredients don't have cheddar cheese at all (they have semi-soft cheese with buttermilk) so perhaps thats just the "reputation flavor" white cheddar has gotten. But yellow cheddar was just white cheddar wearing orange pajamas all along. Man. I've even driven myself crazy trying to taste the differences between yellow cheddar and white and I swear I like white better. Or do I? Is beta caratone a placeboe? Is it tricking our tounges into tasting somethign we don't? I'm so upset.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
Master Chef

Yep, it's just colored to be bright orange. Usually with annatto.

Some cheeses turn gold/orange when they are very well aged. And there is a big difference in taste. Gouda is an example. Cream colored when young and a deep gold when nicely aged.

Possibly the idea of coloring cheddar came from a desire for an unaged cheese to at least look aged. Though you won't see naturally aged cheese cheese look that bright orange carrot color.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Sous Chef

What also upsets me is that I've been buying a sandwhich from our local starbucks/borders called "trukey and county white cheddar" and they've been convincing me that this sanswhich somehow has superiority to the "five cheese grilled cheese sandwhich", which features amoung other cheese yellow cheddar.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

There are different grades of cheddar in both colors. So you could easily get a white that's either better or worse than a yellow.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Executive Chef

There are so many different types of both yellow and white cheddar - a lot of how they taste has to do with how they actually 'make' the cheese - the cheddaring process. It also depends on how long the cheese was aged. You can't compare a yellow cheese from company A that's been aged 1 year to a white cheddar from company B that's been aged for 4 or 5 years.

As far as what Starbucks does in their advertising - I think you need to take it with a grain of salt - after all, marketing is what it's all about!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:37 AM   #6
Master Chef

Beta carotene is more than just a food coloring - it is an antioxidant. But, I don't know if it has a "flavor" ... it might depending on it's source. As for yellow cheddar made with annatto having a different flavor - it's possible since achiote seeds (from the annatto tree) have a slightly musky-flavor. I don't know how much of either of these "food colorings" are used so I don't have a clue as to if, or how much, of a flavor they contribute to the flavor of the cheese. Even in very small amounts it may be enough that you can taste the difference where some other people can't.

However, I would guess that an even bigger factor in the flavor of the cheese would be the type of cow, the cow's diet, processing, and aging.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
There are different grades of cheddar in both colors. So you could easily get a white that's either better or worse than a yellow.
Yeah I know, but the only difference defined by the color I mean.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Beta carotene is more than just a food coloring - it is an antioxidant. But, I don't know if it has a "flavor" ... it might depending on it's source. As for yellow cheddar made with annatto having a different flavor - it's possible since achiote seeds (from the annatto tree) have a slightly musky-flavor. I don't know how much of either of these "food colorings" are used so I don't have a clue as to if, or how much, of a flavor they contribute to the flavor of the cheese. Even in very small amounts it may be enough that you can taste the difference where some other people can't.

However, I would guess that an even bigger factor in the flavor of the cheese would be the type of cow, the cow's diet, processing, and aging.
I guess there could be some flavoring added in the oranging process, because I'm not the only one who tastes that extra... something in the yellow cheddar thats been aged for exactly the same time and temp. as a white.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
But yellow cheddar was just white cheddar wearing orange pajamas all along.

Sadly, Banana Brain, I'm in the same boat. I swear I like white cheddar better too. Maybe that's because turkey just looks better when paired with a paler cheese. I'm going to pretend there's a real difference. Wanna join me?
Old 07-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Since I like cheese of every conceivable sort, I'm going to do a "blind test" and see if I can tell.

Tags
None