There must be A Cheddar Way!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 'real' cheddars from the Cheddar Gorge area of Somerset are the best in the world - well, apart from the Isle of Mull cheddar!

Edinburgh is lucky in having a wonderful cheesemonger called Ian Mellis. Here's his website. If you love cheeses, you would positively DROOL at the selections he has - and he always lets you taste before you buy! I don't know whether he sends cheeses overseas.

http://www.ijmellischeesemonger.com/products.htm

It's not quite cheddar (or is it, cheese gurus please correct me if I'm wrong :)) but "Old Nippy" cheese has a wonderful cheddary taste and is nice and soft.

Personally the best cheddars I've ever had were made in Canada. To me the English ones (and some are fantastic, please don't get me wrong) just don't taste the way cheddar should to me. Guess that comes from eating the Canadian and American varieties all my life. To take Ishbel's advice though and try those UK ones if you get the chance, in terms of a decent cheese they are fab! :)

The point I'm trying to make is that 'Cheddar' cheeses are from Cheddar in Somerset in England! :) All others (and I include Scottish cheddars in this) should, in fact, be labelled Cheddar-STYLE!

The Italians have fought tooth and nail to ensure that parmiagiano be recognised as specific to an area, likewise Balsamic vinegars should come from Modena.

ishbel, i'm afraid it's way too late for that arguement. but you are correct. same arguement goes with champagne.
besides, putting the word -style after just about every foodstuff that wasn't from the original site of it's creation would become very annoying.

i've had some black diamond 5 year aged cheddar, i think it was canadian, that was very nice and sharp, eh. but i have to agree with bubbagourmet. vermont cheddars are the best for flavor and sharpness, imo. actually, i think cabot is only run of the mill for the ones that i've tried, and it is a perennial medal winner.

if you do have some good sharp cheddar and crackers, top with spicy brown mustard, and raw onions, and wash it down with a cold one.

then make sure you have a place to spend some time alone, not breathing on anyone.

Last edited:
I also agree with Ishbel, the real cheddar should be made in England, preferably in that specific region.

Unbelievably, I have yet to find any type of cheddar or cheddar-style since I came to Rome. Although there are always plenty of wonderful selections besides them, at times I could go for a nice tangy Cheshire or Cotswold. Those were two of my favourites when I was in England.

There's always time for an argument!:LOL:

Actually, unlike gruyere, champagne, parm-reg, etc. "cheddar" is reflective of a way of making cheese ("cheddaring") that originated in England (in Cheddar) and not a DOC-type label of origin.

A cheddar chese had been made using a particular recipe or way of making cheese, caled "cheddaring."

Cheddar cheese can be made anywhere, but should not be called cheddar without being made via that method or recipe.

Gruyere must be made in Switzerland. Champagne in France, etc. Those are domain controlled names, not methods of making the product.

They don't even make cheese in Cheddar, Somerset, England, anymore even though that is where it was invented.

Back to the qualities of the cheese, though....

Cabot is my favorite brand of supermarket cheese (by far the best of the Kraft, Landolakes, Sargento crowd), but if you want to try a really nice cheddar, go to a cheesemonger and get yourself a nice FARMHOUSE or artisanal cheese. Good ones come from all over. Grafton Village (from Vermont) is excellent and a favorite of mine. Montgomery Farm from Somerset, England is another great one. And pretty much anything from Neal's Yard is wonderful.

Grafton Village

After all this discussion, I have decided to hit Formaggioand have a cheese-a-palooza for dinner!

Last edited:
Wow, talk about resurrecting a thread! This is an oldie, but clearly a goodie. I have to admit to being biased toward Canadian cheddar. When I was in Italy I craved it like you wouldn't believe. I've tried many types of cheese, but for cheddar for me it has to be Canadian. There is a little creamery run by Canadians (moved to avoid the taxes!) just on the US side of the border in Vancouver that makes yummy cheese. The name escapes me at the moment. If you are looking for a sharp cheese, Imperial Cheese is the best. It is very aged, and spreadable (crumbleable) on crackers. It fills the bill.

so now you're into smuggling cheese across the border, alix? what are we gonna do with you.

i know, i know, on yer face and give me twenty...

lol, anyone remember when lucy tried to smuggle cheese home from europe in ricky's band's instruments?

Living in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, I do some of my shopping, sometimes, in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. They have a cheddar cheese company named Balderson that sells Canadian Cheddar. The company sells two lines, the supermarket type-yellow colored cheddar that is very mediocre, and their Heritage line. The Balderson Heritage cheese is some of the finest cheddar I've tasted anywhere. It comes aged for 1, 2,3,4,and five years. I only buy the stuff aged from 3 years and up. The five year old cheese is well ballanced in acidity, salt, and cheddar flavor. Teh texture is dry, with a hint of salt crunchiness from crystalization within the cheese. It is truly wonderful stuff. If eaten at room temperature, it will make your jaw muscles ache, and possibly curl your toes.

I also has a freind, who has a brother, who makes cheddar in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I don't know the brother's name. He makes that same wonderfully flavored 5-year aged cheddar. Both are white cheddars, with no color or preservatives added.

You should be able to find balderson Cheese online with a Google search. I highly recomend their product. In my humble opinion, it puts Tillamook to shame.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom