Tip for Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the boil, drain, crack/craze the shell, then submerge in cold water for half a minutes. The shell comes right off.

Often, I cheat. I break the egg into these non-stick cups that have been rubbed with butter, and salt the top of the eggs. I then put the little cups into their holder, in the egg poaching pan, cover and cook to the desired stage that I want. So I can get the equivalent of soft, medium, or hard cooked eggs, but with butter.:yum:

I know; I'm not helping. I'll go to my room now.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I use the boil, drain, crack/craze the shell, then submerge in cold water for half a minutes. The shell comes right off.

Often, I cheat. I break the egg into these non-stick cups that have been rubbed with butter, and salt the top of the eggs. I then put the little cups into their holder, in the egg poaching pan, cover and cook to the desired stage that I want. So I can get the equivalent of soft, medium, or hard cooked eggs, but with butter.:yum:

I know; I'm not helping. I'll go to my room now.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If you promise to behave you can stay up for 10 more minutes!

easy

I always put salt in the water when boiling the eggs then straight under the cold water tap , then tap them gently on the edge of the sinkand you will find them so easy to peel:cool:

That is how I do it. It may always work for you, but it doesn't always work for me.
I disagree. Whether a method works or not depends on several factors, the method is not the most important factor. The most important factor is the age of the egg and how the egg has been processed. Since I raise laying hens, my eggs are not (a) washed (they still have the bloom on them which means evaporation does not occur--no air pocket) and (b) how fresh the eggs are. If I wash the eggs, put them in the fridge, and let them cure (read that, let some of the interior moisture evaporate), those eggs will be easier to peel than eggs fresh from the hen that day. Those eggs, even if I wash before cooking, are not cured. The membrane still adheres to the shell, so what I end up with (regardless of method--and other folks with laying hens will concur) is the membrane and some of the white adhering to the shell. Doesn't matter which method I use, because the eggs are not the same as ones you'll buy in a store (or even from your local farmer--most farmers do not sell only "today's" eggs, but sell eggs that are 1-5 days old) and usually will wash the eggs before selling them. So they have cured a bit.

I always leave a dozen, that I plan to hard boil, in the back of the fridge for at least two weeks. Even eggs bought in the store are often, too fresh, to peel nicely.

I tap mine with a teaspoon to start it off and then roll the egg on the work top nice and easy.. This seems to seperate the shell from the fine membrane underneath and it peels away. I'm so happy today as my new ckicken has laid her 1st egg!! Only chicken keepers would understand?????

I tried to post on this earlier today, but my laptop was acting up. It's all better now. Darned malware! :angry:

Now that my SIL has cleaned it up, I can successfully communicate again. So, my communicay is this; you CWS and PriFi, you have taught me things about eggs that I didn't know. What you said make so much sense. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I tried to post on this earlier today, but my laptop was acting up. It's all better now. Darned malware! :angry:

Now that my SIL has cleaned it up, I can successfully communicate again. So, my communicay is this; you CWS and PriFi, you have taught me things about eggs that I didn't know. What you said make so much sense. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's just because we are a couple of smartie pants or shoes...:LOL:

I tap mine with a teaspoon to start it off and then roll the egg on the work top nice and easy.. This seems to seperate the shell from the fine membrane underneath and it peels away. I'm so happy today as my new ckicken has laid her 1st egg!! Only chicken keepers would understand?????
YAY! It is so exciting when a new hen joins the egg production line! I believe I posted pics of the first eggs my girls laid...and my first dish made with fresh eggs...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom