"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackula View Post
Immediate ice bath after ALWAYS works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackula View Post
You may, but I've been hard boiling eggs and peeling them in industrial quantities for over 15 years.

By all means, do it your way.
That is how I do it. It may always work for you, but it doesn't always work for me.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That is how I do it. It may always work for you, but it doesn't always work for me.
I disagree. Whether a method works or not depends on several factors, the method is not the most important factor. The most important factor is the age of the egg and how the egg has been processed. Since I raise laying hens, my eggs are not (a) washed (they still have the bloom on them which means evaporation does not occur--no air pocket) and (b) how fresh the eggs are. If I wash the eggs, put them in the fridge, and let them cure (read that, let some of the interior moisture evaporate), those eggs will be easier to peel than eggs fresh from the hen that day. Those eggs, even if I wash before cooking, are not cured. The membrane still adheres to the shell, so what I end up with (regardless of method--and other folks with laying hens will concur) is the membrane and some of the white adhering to the shell. Doesn't matter which method I use, because the eggs are not the same as ones you'll buy in a store (or even from your local farmer--most farmers do not sell only "today's" eggs, but sell eggs that are 1-5 days old) and usually will wash the eggs before selling them. So they have cured a bit.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I always leave a dozen, that I plan to hard boil, in the back of the fridge for at least two weeks. Even eggs bought in the store are often, too fresh, to peel nicely.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #34
Sous Chef

I tap mine with a teaspoon to start it off and then roll the egg on the work top nice and easy.. This seems to seperate the shell from the fine membrane underneath and it peels away. I'm so happy today as my new ckicken has laid her 1st egg!! Only chicken keepers would understand?????

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #35
Master Chef

I tried to post on this earlier today, but my laptop was acting up. It's all better now. Darned malware!

Now that my SIL has cleaned it up, I can successfully communicate again. So, my communicay is this; you CWS and PriFi, you have taught me things about eggs that I didn't know. What you said make so much sense. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I tried to post on this earlier today, but my laptop was acting up. It's all better now. Darned malware!

Now that my SIL has cleaned it up, I can successfully communicate again. So, my communicay is this; you CWS and PriFi, you have taught me things about eggs that I didn't know. What you said make so much sense. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
It's just because we are a couple of smartie pants or shoes...
Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #37
Master Chef

Hey PriFi; I got snow. You'd better duck!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well, hurry up and send it here! I am without...darn!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
I tap mine with a teaspoon to start it off and then roll the egg on the work top nice and easy.. This seems to seperate the shell from the fine membrane underneath and it peels away. I'm so happy today as my new ckicken has laid her 1st egg!! Only chicken keepers would understand?????
YAY! It is so exciting when a new hen joins the egg production line! I believe I posted pics of the first eggs my girls laid...and my first dish made with fresh eggs...

Tags
eggs, hard boiled eggs