Tip for Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maggie2

Assistant Cook
Not sure if this belongs in this area of the forum but I didn't see a thread for cooking tips so because it involves eggs I put it here. If there is a different thread for tips could someone point me there, please:

Anyway, I discovered that if you add about a teaspoon of baking soda to the water you are boiling your eggs in it helps the shells peel right off.

I was thrilled to learn this as so often the shells are hard to remove. Hope someone else finds this as helpful as I did.

I've used vinegar and salt, never baking soda. I'll have to give that a try with fresh eggs. The fresher the egg, the harder to peel. I think I'll take today's eggs and give it a whirl now!

I've used vinegar and salt, never baking soda. I'll have to give that a try with fresh eggs. The fresher the egg, the harder to peel. I think I'll take today's eggs and give it a whirl now!

Waiting to hear :)
Nothing worked for me when I had fresh eggs. I had to peel three to get one :(

Thanks for the tip ;)

I always put the eggs in cold water once cooked then after they have cooled I break the shells off quite easily :)

Nope--doesn't work with eggs that are only 6-8 hours old. I get better results using salt and vinegar (or, letting the eggs cure for a couple of weeks in the fridge).

pacanis said:
Waiting to hear :)
Nothing worked for me when I had fresh eggs. I had to peel three to get one :(

My friend has fresh eggs. She cuts the hard boiled egg in half and we eat the egg out with a spoon! :)

My friend has fresh eggs. She cuts the hard boiled egg in half and we eat the egg out with a spoon! :)

I help in a kitchen to feed the needy, and when we have hundreds of eggs to chop for egg salad sandwiches taking the time to peel them is out of the question. We crack the cooked eggs in half and scoop out the egg with a spoon.

That's the first I've ever heard of that :chef:

Thanks for taking one for the team, C.
Too good to be true I guess, unless it works better with old eggs, which peel easier anyway.

Now I am hungry for a fresh egg hard boiled. I need to go to my friend's house with my spoon!

ice water here after eggs are cooked. leave in about twenty minutes. crack a bit on counter. work the bowl of a teaspoon just under shell and off comes the shell. never fails and is really quick.

I help in a kitchen to feed the needy, and when we have hundreds of eggs to chop for egg salad sandwiches taking the time to peel them is out of the question. We crack the cooked eggs in half and scoop out the egg with a spoon.
Using a cooling rack (one that is a grid type) over a hotel pan you can "mash" a lot of hb eggs fairly quickly instead of chopping them.

I've been doing the baking soda thing for a few years and it's always worked very well for me.

I will try this, as well as the spoon thing. Always annoying when more egg sticks to the shell than comes off.

Back
Top Bottom