"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
[QUOTE=kadesma;977830]when I use romas I save and freeze the guts til I have enough to put in the oven with evoo,salt,pepper and herbs and garlic then use it in pasta sauce with sauteed mushrooms chopped onion,flat leaf parsley and herbs the roasting gives the tomatoes a wonderful sweet taste I love.
kades
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Dang! How many people do you usually cook for?

Cooking for myself, I just don't go there, but you, Kades, make me drool (slobber).
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Dang! How many people do you usually cook for?

Cooking for myself, I just don't go there, but you, Kades, make me drool (slobber).
Iusually cook for all the kids and grand kids on the weekends and 4-5 of them during the week. The tomatoes I make roasted I put in containers freeze and pull them out when the mood strikes. Husband has been having to help me after my stroke but things are looking up and I'm better every day. I bet it's a pain cooking for 1 I know at times It's so hard to make something just for one but I'm getting the hang of for 2
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Sounds wonderful, I love tomatoes and eggs. Usually salsa and eggs, but this sounds fun.

I have some Campari tomatoes I need to use up...a tomato quiche would be nice!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sounds wonderful, I love tomatoes and eggs. Usually salsa and eggs, but this sounds fun.

I have some Campari tomatoes I need to use up...a tomato quiche would be nice!
how about tomato pie.In one prebaked pie shell baked at425 for 5 min.reduce heat to 400 cover bottom of shell with peeled tomato sliced about 3 should cover. sprinkle with salt,pepper 1/2 tea of basil and fresh chives about1/4 cup. combine1/4 cup mayo with1 cuo sharp grated cheddar.spread mixture evenly over tomato slices make sure to seal edges of pie crust completely and bake 35 min.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
how about tomato pie.In one prebaked pie shell baked at425 for 5 min.reduce heat to 400 cover bottom of shell with peeled tomato sliced about 3 should cover. sprinkle with salt,pepper 1/2 tea of basil and fresh chives about1/4 cup. combine1/4 cup mayo with1 cuo sharp grated cheddar.spread mixture evenly over tomato slices make sure to seal edges of pie crust completely and bake 35 min.
kades
Oh that sounds good too! Thanks, Kades! I'll make a little one...just for me. Shrek doesn't like cooked tomatoes...he's weird!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Wow, Kades. You sure do fancy! That sounds soooo nice.

What do you do with the tomato "guts"?
I recently came across a similar recipe at my Danish cooking site: Bagte tomater med ęg med billede fra Alletiders Kogebog

In that recipe you chop up a bunch of fresh herbs, some garlic, the tomato innards, and put it at the bottom of the baking dish. Then put the tomato with the egg on top of the innards mixture, and bake.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I recently came across a similar recipe at my Danish cooking site: Bagte tomater med ęg med billede fra Alletiders Kogebog

In that recipe you chop up a bunch of fresh herbs, some garlic, the tomato innards, and put it at the bottom of the baking dish. Then put the tomato with the egg on top of the innards mixture, and bake.
Will check it out. I love tomatoes in any way shape or formThanks taxlady
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Will check it out. I love tomatoes in any way shape or formThanks taxlady
kades
It's surprisingly close to your recipe, though no cheese.

If you want any help with the translation, let me know. I just checked the result from Google translate. I think it mostly makes sense. It translates the tomato innards as "giblets"

The only thing it got really wrong: "serve with toasted bread" translated to "serve with roasted beans".
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, tomato

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.